Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sullair 185 DP compressor adjustment

candor ยท 2012-11-27 04:25

Hi, I own a 1980 portable Sullair compressor unit with John Deere 4 cylinder diesel engine. This unit is at the present out of adjustment. I do not have any document about it. There is no representative or distributor in the place where I work now. I did a search on the internet but without success. So, I appreciate if someone can please help me with the adjustment procedure for optimal performance compressor-engine. I attached a picture for the machine And here below the identification of the portable compressor. Model : 185 DP 2W JD S/N : 00478356 AHI Engine Model: John Deere 4219 Compressor element: part #: 10558-1 S/N : 81XN10-0173 Regards,

Replies4
  1. #1candor2012-11-28 02:32

    Sullair 185 DP 2W JD compressor Hi, And here is the picture of the portable sullair compressor unit. Thanks,

  2. #2Hardline2012-11-28 17:07

    Are you trying to adjust engine rpms or compressor pressures?

  3. #3candor2012-11-28 21:03

    Hi Hardline, I think both of them, the compressor element as well as the engine. According to what I read on the internet about how the sullair compressor should be adjusted for optimal performance seems not apply to my machine. I guess each model has its own specific adjustment. So, I think what I need is the procedure to follow that I don't have. Thanks!

  4. #4willie592012-11-28 21:23

    Hard to tell from just that pic, but that looks like an older unit that has a diaphram that controls a linkage to engine throttle and may have a linkage that goes to compressor inlet throttle as well. Most of those units will produce air unit it gets between 110 and 120 psi, then the control diaphram pulls engine back to idle, and may operate compressor inlet throttle. Once you crack open valves and pressure drops, it will open throttles to try and maintain the psi pressure. At the point you open discharge and pressure begins to drop off with engine at full throttle, you've met your max cfm output.