Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sumitomo S160F2 / SH60 / JCB JS70

Purerooter · 2023-06-26 21:30

I know this has probably been discussed before. However I have a Sumitomo S160F2 that has developed starting problems. There is clicking from in around the battery compartment when the key is turned. I discovered that some previous owner has done some alterations to wiring around what I think is the safety relay and also the battery relay and has fitted an isolator/dead man switch also. I presume the battery relay and safety relay had given trouble in the past and were bypassed somehow. I would like to get it back original and working correct. Currently there are just two small wires attached to the battery relay. A wire from the safety relay has been spliced and an additional relay added into the circuit. It’s a mess. I’d like to know what way the battery relay and safety relay should be wired up with some detailed photos of a correct machine perhaps. I’m struggling to follow a diagram I have which is in Chinese! Thanks.

Replies11
  1. #1KSSS2023-06-26 22:02

    Its in Chinese because that machine is/was a joint venture between Japan and China. Sumitomo excavator is a joint venture in China. Sumitomo 160F2 excavator is made in Japan. The machine has stable performance, fast working speed and normal engine. Sumitomo 160F2 excavator is equipped with MTB Matsumoto 4M40 engine, with rated power (kw/rpm) of 40.5, displacement of 2.8L, and four cylinders. Sumitomo 160F2 excavator has high working speed, low fuel consumption and few faults. It is usually widely used in the engineering industry. We are Sumitomo's second-hand excavator supplier in China. The company has a large number of Sumitomo excavators with complete varieties and favorable prices. Orders Are Welcome! Sumitomo 160F2 excavator is the first choice for road, slope repair and agriculture! While this forum is world wide, finding someone with an answer to your question will take some luck. Google will be your best option, which I am sure you have already explored.

  2. #2excavator2023-06-26 23:15

    Case, LinkBelt and some of the earlier JCBs were all built by Sumitomo. Same basic machine with each brand often using a different engine. If your machine is an SH160F2 it is likely the same basic machine as a LS2700C2 LinkBelt or a 9020 Case. Not sure on the JCB but maybe a JS160. I have found that Case has by far the best manuals and wiring diagrams of any. If you could post a picture of the machine we might be able to tell what series it is.

  3. #3Purerooter2023-06-27 03:37
  4. #4Purerooter2023-06-27 03:37

    So this is my machine anyway.

  5. #5Purerooter2023-06-27 03:40

    It’s only about 6-8 tonne not a big machine

  6. #6uffex2023-06-27 05:44

    Good day Clicking sound's more connected with battery voltage, if the relay has been bypassed I would suggest giving the start motor a dose of service. I have attched JZ70 electric diagram I guess its pretty close to your machine. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7excavator2023-06-27 10:18

    Sorry, I mis read it as being a 160 not a 60 size. This should be the same as a Case 9007 or as uffex said, the JZ70. Hope this wire diagram works for you.

  8. #8KSSS2023-06-28 00:15

    It doesn't look like a 9007 to me.

  9. #9Purerooter2023-06-28 08:09

    Update on this. The digger is now going again. Both the battery relay/master switch and the safety switch have been bypassed with a single relay now sending power to the starter solenoid. All functions seem to be fine. However I feel like and idiot because the battery also seemed to be an issue all along. Although it was reading 12.38 volts and only a year old it failed a load test. Voltage dropped to 3 volts when trying to crank the engine. The digger is going again at least! Thanks for your input.

  10. #10bryan36052025-08-06 22:42

    Hello I have a S160F2 runs but struggles to get hydraulic pressure winning like its out of fluid when its full. Occasionally when it does get fluid all functions work except turning right or left and the right track. Wandering if anyone knows where the filters are located thought I would start there. I replaced both pump solenoids and no change. Thanks, Bryan

  11. #11bryan36052026-05-27 00:28

    Anyone have hydraulic and electrical diagrams or a shop manual?