Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sumitomo sh330-3 injectors test mode

JJ960E ยท 2015-07-13 16:47

Hi Im looking after a sh330-3 (6hk1 isuzu eng) that has some running issues it has previously had fault code 0203 for inj 3 , so I've accessed the service menu to activate the injector test mode which seems to run at a slow idle 500rpm , I'm used to an inj cutout test , so what is the idea of this type of inj test? Im going to take my temp gun and measure cyl temps next and check resistance through inj harness of each inj. Any help apprec'd

Replies10
  1. #1GaryHoff2015-07-23 00:10

    Its just for you to notice the engine sound change. As you cut out the injectors, you will hear the engine noise change. A weak injector will cause the engine rpm to drop less, then when you cut out a good injector.

  2. #2JJ960E2015-07-23 05:31

    of course that is the problem i cant shut off individual inj it just slows idle to 500rpm So im hoping to ask sumitomo/case/linkbelt technician

  3. #3GaryHoff2015-07-24 03:03

    The diagnostic screens can be hard to navigate without a service manual. A case tech will not be able to do anything you cant. They will only know how to navigate the screens better than you. All of the available engine diagnostics are on the monitor. Case did not purchase the rights for Isuzu emps for the tier 4 engines. The last injector that I had fail, was visibly leaking when I removed the valve cover. Did anyone replace or re-program the controllers? Did you replace any of the injectors? The qr codes must be entered. Any other fault codes? Is the engine actually running rough?

  4. #4JJ960E2015-07-24 07:05

    I have a service manual , ive worked for 2 oem and you definitely have more infomation available then whats in the manual , this is a dash 3 I would consider tier 3, engine has hesitation at 1/4 - 1/2 throttle, I have not replaced any injectors all im asking is anyone familiar with this system , I appreciate your input but have you experience with this particular system? , is your pic from dash 5?

  5. #5JJ960E2015-07-24 07:08

    The injector codes are also correct

  6. #6GaryHoff2015-07-25 03:15

    My experience is on Case, which is Sumitomo built. The picture is of a the Case C series excavators monitor. They are tier 4a with Isuzu engines. I just assumed you had the same monitor, as the older case machines did not have a onboard injector cut out test. The B series case excavators had poor quality injectors, and were updated with a new injector, fix as fails. Very common issue to have a bad injector on a Case B series excavator. (the Case B series had a tier 3 Isuzu engines). Since you have a fault code active, you should switch the injector with another one, and see if the code stays for #3 or follows to where you moved the injector. It sounds to me like you may have a older monitor, that is not able to perform a injector cut out test. (I am assuming it would be the same as a Case b series) I'm also assuming that you do not have Isuzu software to use a laptop.

  7. #7JJ960E2015-07-25 05:35

    Yes its an older model tier 3 egr and common rail, I have info on which case it is similar too but im working abroad atm , can you plug emps into the sumi and where abouts because I deal with isuzu powered diggers a bit and would consider buying one

  8. #8GaryHoff2015-07-25 22:05

    The EMPS that I had available was only for programing the engine controller, on the Case B series excavators. I don't think that the EMPS does anything other than programing. The engine diagnostics were done through the case EST, which plugged into the 9 pin deutsch connector, behind the seat, by the fuses. What you are looking for is probably the TECH II software. Its mentioned in the case service manuals, but always says its a Isuzu diagnostic connector, and is not used in Case applications. This connector is also behind the seat, by the fuses, and is the OBDII looking connector.

  9. #9JJ960E2015-08-08 16:24

    Thanks for the info , I managed to go back to the machine equipped with emps , so tbe fault code for inj 3 did not reappear after being cleared a few weeks ago, but there is still a hesitation at 1/4 - 1/2 idle, I managed to do the cut out test and no.3 made very little difference so I have a spare injector to try before buying a new set , Also I had to goto a sumitomo 145-6 (4jj diesel particulate filter) which has the same dash you posted a pic of , how do u get I to the service mentionu ?? Emps also hooks upto it but only good for engine related stuff thanks

  10. #10GaryHoff2015-08-09 01:31

    To access the service menu hold the rabbit and the breaker buttons for 3 seconds. This will bring you to the service screen. DO NOT SELECT RESET!! This will reset all of your machine information, and will be difficult for you to set all the parameters back to where they should be. Probably what you are wanting to look at will be in "check". Some parameters are not labeled, so you will need the manual to decipher it. I have the manual, as the service screens are not in the service manual.