Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Super dump truck, need info on best power train

10hotrod16 ยท 2013-09-07 18:20

I AM LOOKING TO BUILD ANOTHER L9000 FORD DUMP TRUCK (1979), WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS THE HIGHEST HORSE/TORQUE, TOUGHEST, MEANEST, LONG LASTING MECHANICAL INJECTED ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND TOUGHEST REAR ENDS AVALIBLE............ANY RECOMENDATIONS? :usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies15
  1. #1grandpa2013-09-07 20:01

    I'd vote for theN14 cummins for the motor.

  2. #2Truck 5052013-09-07 20:34

    I will vote for 3406B or C Cat for the motor.

  3. #3td25c2013-09-07 22:13

    I still like the 855 cummins engines.Make good power & wont break the bank when working on them. 1979 Ford L9000......I would keep it stock for the most part.Hard to improve on something that worked & made money. Found this model on www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4517653 Good luck on the project 10hotrod16.

  4. #4norite2013-09-07 22:25

    I really liked the old 400 cummins. As for trans it's hard to beat an Eaton RR 8LL for a dump, I'd look for Rockwell 44 or 46k rears with full locks. Haven't had a heavy truck around for 10 years or so, may buy one in the near future, mostly to move equipment around.

  5. #5johndeere1232013-09-08 02:15

    Are you looking to make a practical truck, or a TOUGHEST, MEANEST, LONG LASTING MECHANICAL INJECTED ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, AND TOUGHEST REAR ENDS. Because they usually are not the same. If its not going to be a practical truck, I would go with an 8V92T Detroit for the meanest sound. If you are going for practical, cat/cummins

  6. #6d9gdon2013-09-08 09:27

    A 3408 Cat with a 15 speed on 46K rears with a round bottom bed. A 3408 was available in 1979, but I've only seen them in Petes and KW's. Or, you could get creative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDG7aMtQKKM

  7. #7norite2013-09-08 14:30

    It would take a texas oilwell to supply the fuel for that thirsty cat!

  8. #8Poohbear552013-09-08 14:47

    Used to see lots of 3408's in freightliner cabovers from a local lumber co. hauled "B" trains. sure were thirsty tho.

  9. #9d9gdon2013-09-08 20:07

    Yeah, look at the original post...I didn't see any limits on his wish list. At least you wouldn't burn it all in the same spot. I don't know what could pull better or sound nicer than a 3408 with straights, and prolly run a million miles between overhauls unlike the new EGR engines.

  10. #10Tyler10222013-09-09 12:50

    the 3408 would be really nice but wouldn't that be hard on that L9000. I say 3406b you got the best of both worlds power and reliability and there not to bad on fuel

  11. #11d9gdon2013-09-09 21:22

    Yeah, a 3406B is much more practical. Doesn't he say above that he wants the highest horse/torque, transmission, and rear ends?

  12. #12Tyler10222013-09-11 00:04

    10hotrod16 cram a 12v92tt in it and stick a 6/4 behind it and you will have a monster

  13. #13YEC19982013-09-19 17:55

    I would vote on the 400 (855) Cummins. Like previously said cheap to operate and in the right hands can be made to run real good. I would want Hendrickson walking beams under her and Rockwell rears. For the transmission I like the Eaton Fuller 13 Speed, pleanty of low and high gears. Opinions are like *******s everybody has one but that is my 2 cents worth.

  14. #14monster762013-09-19 19:01

    3408 or kta 600 would be fun turn the fuel up and let it eat is my vote

  15. #15ptrdozing2013-10-04 22:10

    3406b for sure We've got a 3406b in a 90 Ford dump truck with a port and polished head and a turned up pump. Runs really good not bad on fuel either. 4.33 ratio, 40k rears, and a 13 speed. Around here we can only go 56,000 with one pusher but it'll do 6 to 6.5 mpg if your nice to it and around 76mph is top speed. Ive only ran against a couple of 435 hp c-12's but it'll leave them all day long.