So say you have a old 35 ton Grove RT, and it just won't pick enough. 1st thing, weld some big spuds on the counterweight, so you can stack some more big weights on it- that way it won't get light on you. 2nd thing- when the old groves get close to capacity, they don't like to always boom up the load. I've had them get a little fussy when close to capacity with a load right on the outriggers. So you add a third boom cylinder that you can use just to bump up in the middle of the factory two- just for that little extra ooompphhh when you really need it. This crane is on purplewave, and I'd hate to think how badly they have overloaded that old girl with the extra weights (that they took off before the auction) and the third boom cylinder, its a wonder the boom isn't ripped up on the thing. Testament to a great overbuilt design. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...59-Cranes-Rough_or_All_Terrain_Crane-Missouri
That's as bad as the crane that had a dummy counterweight that was tipping over with no load on it.
Now I’ll be the first to admit, I’ve made some of those old groves do some things they weren’t real keen on.... but this takes it to another level. I’d be real surprised if there’s not any cracks on any welds on the old girl.
What's hiding under the new paint?
I've seen people add counterweight (22B crawler) and not particularly overload them, just be more stable around the edge of the chart, on barges and mats on banks, but that third boom cylinder, WOW!
Also- there's another portion of the listing that's obviously wrong, 1 free round trip ticket to the vacation destination of your choice for the eagle eye that spots it first! (disclaimer- all current and future rewards and flights are cancelled due to coronavirus)
It's not a crawler.
don`t have a cat engine either .555 cummins
No such model as a PT659 ? Missing the second winch ? (Stubs left) Counter weight relocated ?
This is like a Where's waldo book with multiple waldo's in the picture. Petepilot got the one I was looking for with the 555. Its certainly not a crawler though. Its not a PT 659 either. Its also missing its dead section pin in the bottom of the boom. It doesn't have a jib so its not reaching 136' either. Unless you park it on a 32' tall dirt berm. Sorry though hosspuller- not all of them came with a second winch. The counterweight on it is in the factory location.
Makes one wonder how it ever passed a Crane inspection, then got into photos where whomever was lubing this machine rather OBVIOUSLY missed the rotation bull gear, not a dribble of lube anywhere on it in a VERY Long time, then the outriggers shoes, one has been destroyed another has seen rougher days, the "Operator" on this had to have been less than well seasoned. Of course is a Masonry business, seldom seen any mason shops equipment in very good order, surprised is not slathered in mortar.
The third cylinder appears to be broken off or something.
The engine didn't look right to me but I haven't been around 3208's only 3204's. I saw the twist T handle filler plug so thought it might be a Cat. What's the PT 659 in reference to? It shows on a name plate.
how in the world did they get insurance on it ? Prolly didn't ?
I always wondered about places that have their own yard cranes if they get them certified and inspected as required.
NO PTs in Grove, RTs as in Rough Terrain, likely a RT65S fifty ton by Model tag.
They didn't tie it into the other two factory cylinders. What I'm sure they would do, is get all set up to pick up a precast vault, boom up until the factory cylinders stopped/ stalled out. Then they would extend the third cylinder and just bump it up against the top, while also booming up on the factory cylinders. That would be enough to get the vault off the ground, set it on the trailer, then retract the extra cylinder, and run it on the standard cylinders. I'm betting that part of their masonry business was making precast sewer boxes, or box culverts. Heavy pieces to load up on trailers. And hence the extra cylinder and counterweight. Its like something I would build if I didn't have inspections and insurance and liability concerns.
It looks like the middle cylinder is a shorter stroke and they'd have to be very careful not to pull it apart by booming too high.
Ok fellas. This took some digging. That crane had a conveyor attachment at some point. Rotec makes what they call a creter crane. This is a modern version. This old rt75s is the only picture I could find of their older models. That explains the lugs on the ctw. The third boom cylinder had something to do with lifting the boom at a low boom angle. Not abuse, just a special application.
knepptunes the man. Instead of a farmer built attachment, its a factory built farmer type attachment. I'm sure Grove never signed off on that. Cool pictures though. From before the days of a telebelt or concrete pump.
That thing looks spooky driving around. Really top heavy..
Wow, you have all those things???!!! How in the world do you make any money??
I just hate belts! All that length and a take up mechanism to handle the extra belt as the boom is extended and retracted? Then you have to worry about the end wheels and just how much power would it take to drive that mess continually? Extra pumps, valves and a big cooler that weren't on the machine originally. I see the truck mounted stone throwers occasionally but they are no where near the size of those monsters.
Do not have photos but the contractor that built the Nuke I worked in used belt feeds for concrete placement all across the plant, only used pumps for the high dome of containment.