I have a custom dump truck mounted on a pete 320 cabover. It is an ejector with 3 lift axles. It has 46000 rear ends with a haulmaxx suspension and is beating the crap out of me. I am looking at options to swap to air ride. Options that are readily available to me include a set off of Mack and a a couple sets of other model pete's. Can anyone advise if I am asking for to many problems with the Mack? It is set up with double lockers and appears to be in pretty good condition. Any advise or input would be helpful.
The can has been opened.....
care to elaborate???
I talked to a guy about a year ago with a haulmaxx on his dump truck, and he said he really liked how it rode. I've never owned one. That said, I have owned and driven, where the drivers cab is over, or in front of the steer axle, and that seating arrangement, typically doesn't lead to a great ride. Every bump is magnified by the fact that you are in front of the steer, instead of half way between the steer and the drives. When that steer goes in a dip, it launches you skyward. Assuming all your lift axles are air ride, making the drives air ride too, isn't going to change much of how that thing rides. If your sure you want air ride on the rear, the simplest solution is to make sure the frame widths are equal on the cut off you get. If the macks are top loader rears, your driveline hangar bearings, and lengths are going to all be wrong. So that makes the macks a little more complicated. I'd probably avoid a set of top loaders, if you are front loaders right now. But I really think the air ride drives, isn't going to help like you think it will. That truck probably has a 20k spring front, and the air ride rear isn't going to change that. They do make some air bag helper springs, that fit between the front springs and the frame, a set of those might do more good.
Thank you for the feedback.
I wish I had better advice, but all the truck cranes are set up like garbage trucks, in that you are up ahead of, or on top of the steer. And they are just like old cabovers, in having a crappy ride. Our 90 ton even has a air ride front tandem, (and air rear) and it still will pop you around.
I've driven water trucks with or without air ride and you definitely notice a difference when not loaded, however this comes at a cost of poorer handling in mud or soft terrain, you get stuck way easier especially when your not used to it. Mack = expensive anymore, well it's all expensive. Somebody will chime in I think you have to drop the bags to dump or there is a huge risk of going over. Having rolled a truck with poorly setup front and rear air bags I would skip any front air bag system, keep the front as stable as you can.
320 petes ride like crap regardless of suspension. Not sure if you will actually get the results you want swapping to air ride. The cab over also has to have a short travel air ride seat which doesnt help either. I have driven them with airtrac and with haulmaxx. No significant difference. At the end of the day its still an 320 cabover.
Sorry. Air ride on dump trucks is often a source of debate on here. Just like gas or diesel on your pickup truck
I usually just ride with the seat totally deflated. With the short seats, it seems like with it inflated, you get hit twice. The bump pushes you up, and then slams you against the cab floor, leave the seat deflated- all you get is the bump. I'd rather just ride the bump in the seat and be done with it. I don't put air in any of the short seats. One Grove truck crane had a short air seat that pivoted in the front. So instead of pushing you up and down, it threw you forward and back in a arc. I think that's the worst seat I've ever rode in.
Thankfully I don't have to worry about tip over as my box does not lift. It has a push plate called an ejector that pushes the load out. Eliminates tip over and overhead obstacles issues.
There's a way to complicate a dump truck . . .
I can dump under powerlines, inside buildings with low ceilings, under bridges and on slopes without the worry or hazards of striking overhead obstacles or tipping over. I can do everything a regular dump truck can do but I do it safer. I just made a mistake when I choose axle placement by not putting the drives on the rear.
How heavy is the pusher? Does it work good or get bound up a lot? It's pretty cool
You're better off where the drives are for turning radius. Will it push out clay, which tends to stick in the bed? Do you use it for snow removal/ loading out, because that would be slick unloading snow, which can also hang up.
I would like to see a picture of the ejector set up, is it a cable or multistage cylinder? It would have to have some pretty good push to dump a load of rock out. Either way, that's a pretty slick set up, if you have a use for it.
Works great on all materials. Even asphalt.
I will send you a pm and show you
I HAVE A SOLUTION!!! On another forum a person responded with a suggestion of a steering lockout on the tag axle. This would lock the axle straight when backing up. A phone call to Link Mfg and they make a specific kit for my lift axle!!! I was looking at having to spend a few grand to swap my drives and my tag axle and a couple weeks of down time. OR all of that and a Haulmaax to air conversion as well. This solution is $575 including freight and I can install it myself in a couple hours!!! WOOHOO!
I thought it was beating you to bits
I knew a guy who ran a KW T800 conveyor truck with Hendrickson biscuit suspension with a drop axle ahead and behind the drivers. He ran around empty with the back axle down because it made it ride better. I don't know how much weight it was carrying but he said it softened the ride in back and added weight to the steer making it ride better, too.