I saw this machine parked at an area construction co., and thought it was pretty neat, so I grabbed some pics. I'm not sure what its correct name would be, so I'm calling it a "swampskvator":wink2
I think it is for working in soft areas I'am pretty sure the machine floats. Its kinda limited to digging from the side and the way the tracks look it could get stuck easy it must be a SOB to get on a lowbed.
A "muddy soil excavator" or "pontoon excavator" is what I have read that they are called. Never seen one made of a CAT machine. Only Komatsu. Great pics and thanks for sharing!
Yes the machine can float. It is great to use when digging on river beds. Or in swamps.
I saw this machine was being used when they put the new entrance to our Air Guard base in. It was across a pretty swampy area. I wish I could've got some pics of it in action.
www.bigfloat.se/?lng=en www.wilcomarshbuggies.com/models.htm Heres some more info. Check out the videos.
Those machines are for peat bogs.
I've always seen these listed as amphibious excavators. They float. The state of TN has one that is used to keep some of the lowland rivers cleared. There is also a local contractor that has a Cat 315 version. These things are very wide and look like a pain to move. See Frogco Amphibious Eqpt or Wilco Marsh Buggies for more info.
They made an island out in the Beufort Sea, north of Prudhoe Bay. They used these to bury a pipeline under the Sea in case they broke though the ice.
I'd hate to be the one to have to shovel the tracks out at the end of the day...:Banghead :spaz :nono
Good pics Lashlander. I always enjoy the out of the ordinary equipment. :yup
Here's a little one: It doesn't seem that you could dig very deep. I found um here .
Thats a cute little bugger.
Those machines are pretty cool. Definitely different looking. I never saw one in person, just in pictures and saw one working on a t v program once.
swamp buggie pretty cool video i found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBolxjdnvg
I can not see thoes units holding up well on hard ground, I bet rock and stumps would tear up the tracks. They would be better than working on mats.
Wonder if there would be any work????
neat video
Dont see them up north to much KMS