Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swapping Cummins C14B brake housings to Jacobs Model 430

alaskasmitty76 · 2023-09-19 22:38

I have a NTC400, Nt88, Big Cam 400 , with original C-Brake C14B Housings. I also have a spare engine with Jacobs Model 430 Housings. I need to rebuild my c-Brake c-14, but I was hoping I could use the Jacobs 430 Housings in the meantime. Are there any issues that I should be aware of. I know there's spacers involved with 430 housings, but all that is there. One more Query. The nameplate on the Jacob 430 housings do not have any slave piston clearance specs. Just wondering if different than c-brake and/or where or if anybody knows the spec. Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-09-20 15:12

    Lets have some Controlled Parts List {CPL} numbers off those two engines. A NTC 400 NT88 BC--- Need to know if it's STC {Step Timed Controlled} Because C brakes came on STC 444, Mechanical N14 and Select N14. Step time jakes are not compatible with any 855 BC1 through BCIV. * PDF * https://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.co.../2021-09/Cummins-Application-Guide-20994F.pdf

  2. #2alaskasmitty762023-09-20 17:57

    cpl is 1211, which my research shows that it uses a model 430. it has step timing according to CPL. I just found out I need to change crossheads and injector adjustment screws. I'm thinking I'm just going to rebuild the original C brake, as long as I can find parts. I know solenoids are good. I don't think its releasing properly. I get popping sounds that fade after turning brake off

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-09-20 18:59

    STC jakes are totally to themselves. That's why I asked for CPL. Normally the oil control valve has crud in it or issue with valve it's self, cause of slow jake shut off. Tune-up kit 3871538.

  4. #4Truck Shop2023-09-25 19:03

    Another waste of time.

  5. #5brown3592023-11-01 00:54

    Have same cpl and c14b housings. Found broken spring over the oil control piston. But ordered the 3871536, 7, and 8 numbered tune up kits from cummins and none had the correct parts. Springs were not the same nor were oil control pistons, solenoid connectors, or snap rings. Any thoughts?

  6. #6Truck Shop2023-11-01 08:58

    Unless I have it right in front of me to look at, don't know.

  7. #7brown3592023-11-01 10:26

    The cbrake was not manufactured by Jacob’s I take it

  8. #8Truck Shop2023-11-01 10:53

    Note in this Link-Jacobs C and E brake. Cummins bought Jacobs automotive end in early 2022. Cummins has always had close ties to Jacobs going all the way back to the 50's. * https://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com/sites/default/files/2021-09/Cummins-Application-Guide-20994F.pdf