Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swing action loose

grsabourin ยท 2016-03-06 23:30

Hi, I have a Takeuchi TB015. This machine has clearly a loose on the swing action. When the boom is up I'm able to move by hand the top part of the machine. It seems it is related to swing bearing. I would like to have your experience about what it may be broken, the bearing, the gear on the bearing or finally the pinion on the swing motor. It may be all the answers. What is the biggest probability? Is some one have experience doing this job on this machine or similar one? Do you have good references? Thank you

Replies10
  1. #1wilko2016-03-08 00:45

    From your description it sounds like the swing brake isn't engaging. The problem could be electrical or mechanical, not familiar with your machine.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-03-08 01:15

    Machine that small in my experience won't have a swing brake or even a reduction gear though both are possibilities. More likely a direct drive hydraulic motor with a counterbalance valve. Motor could be shot, valve poppet could be stuck open. Or the shaft could be sheared. Will it swing at all under power?

  3. #3grsabourin2016-03-08 13:33

    Thank you for your reply. I do not know a lot but I will be surprised if this machine has a swing brake. To answer lantraxco question, the swing loose seems only when there is no power on the swing motor. When for example I leave the machine running idle, boom up I'm able to rotate the top of the machine by few degrees.

  4. #4lantraxco2016-03-08 18:13

    Ah, so it's not so much that it will rotate when it's supposed to be locked, it has what you consider too much free motion when it's stopped? Again could be a motor issue, or the swing pinion which runs against the big ring gear is badly worn.

  5. #5Muellermarine2016-03-08 19:04

    I'm a Takeuchi tech and would be willing to bet the swing motor bolts are loose and or missing. Let us know what you find

  6. #6grsabourin2016-03-08 20:56

    Thank you for all your advice. It will be now time to put hands in the machine and check directly. I will be happy if it is just a question of missing bolts. I give you news in few days of what I will fin in the machine. What is the best way to have a view on the swing motor pinion?

  7. #7grsabourin2016-04-10 23:04

    I finally take time to dismantle seat of my TB015 to inspect fixation of the swing motor. Muellermarine, your was totally right. The swing motor is completely loose and some bolts are simply missing. I just never understand how it still working. Thank you very much for your great advise.

  8. #8Shimmy12016-04-10 23:19

    Thanks for taking time to come back and let us know what you found. Hopefully the missing bolts are "missing" and not broken off.

  9. #9grsabourin2016-04-11 00:11

    It is a pleasure to thank mostly when the information is really useful.

  10. #10Muellermarine2016-04-14 16:27

    Glade I could help you out.