Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

swing away jib

harleyrider ยท 2018-11-28 19:55

hello I have a grove swing away lattice jib and I believe it will fit a grove TMS-640. but I am not positive . the pin holes center-to-center. are 28". they are the same 28''. top-to-bottom. also. side-to-side. 28''. centers. can anyone tell me if this will fit a grove TMS-640 thank you

Replies7
  1. #1crane operator2018-11-29 22:30

    A couple pictures would help. If I remember right, the 640's used a little shorter jib than the 700 series. I think like 29'- 51' telescoping with offset. I think grove stamped a part number in the jibs of that era on one of the legs where it pins on, you may have to wire brush some paint off to read it. That and a phone call to a grove dealer and you would know for sure.

  2. #2harleyrider2018-11-30 03:48

    crane operator thank you I am trying to get some pics. the crane should be in my yard in a week or 2 . Thank You

  3. #3Vetech632018-11-30 06:52

    I used to inspect cranes years ago. I'm definitely no expert now days and have forgotten more than what I remember, isn't doing something like this a bit dangerous? Without the proper jib in place for that particular machine, wouldn't that effect the accuracy of the load chart ratings? Please inform me if I am wrong, because I never would have allowed that 25 years ago.

  4. #4harleyrider2018-11-30 07:04

    Vetech63. thank you for your response. and I agree with you 110%. that is why I am trying to make sure that it is the correct jib . the crane is 700 miles from my shop and the jib that is for sale is about 1500 miles from my shop I am trying to pair the 2. but I also want it to be the correct jib for the crane

  5. #5Vetech632018-11-30 07:12

    No problem HR. Just wanted to make you aware. I had a customer years and years ago that took a fly jib of a P&H Omega 20 and stuck it on a smaller Omega 18. If I remember right, the load chart ended up being 400+ lbs. over the load rating chart specs when I did a lift test. Needless to say, it didn't FLY and I couldn't pass it.

  6. #6harleyrider2018-11-30 07:19

    Vetech63 I am somewhat new to the crane business. I have been in the house moving business for the past 35years. I had a P&H t-300a. sold that. then bought a TMS-300. still have it. but with no electronics and the cost to put them in is a bit high, so I bought a TMS-640 , nice crane. , nice set up but the jib is missing .

  7. #7crane operator2018-11-30 20:05

    I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the electronics on the 640's can be problematic also. It depends what system is in it, and if its been upgraded or not. If its a maestro, you'll be okay (that's the upgrade). If its a pat 350, those have parts available, the problem ones are the 350 GW versions. If its a GW and you have display issues, no parts are available for the GW. You will have to go to a maestro, and thats a $8,000 deal. Or replace it all with cranesmart or lsi, and that's $10,000+. The crane itself is a good crane though, just wanted to give you a heads up on the electronics. I wouldn't buy the jib until you have the crane in your yard, so you can take your own measurements. I realize if you've found one, its kind of tough to wait, and worry someone else is going to buy it and it slips away, like if its on a auction or something. If its just for sale private, I'd try to wait, there's not a lot of the 640's out there, and I don't think there would be a huge demand of guys buying them up.