Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swing controls opposite. Joystick Right=swing left

EvdogIHI ยท 2022-08-09 02:44

I have an old ihi uj18 mini excavator and i have just pulled the swing motor completely apart to replace a worn shaft seal. I put it all back together and now the machine swings the opposite direction than what i want. Joystick left and it goes right. The lines to it are 100% in the correct spot as i marked them. As well as the lines being impossible to mix up because one of them is too short to get to the other fitting. when i was putting it in i needed to swing the cab over in order for the bolts to line up. I pushed it with my tractor with the motor in place still. I am wondering if this could have forcibly pushed a valve shut and some how reversed the flow, kind of like starting a 2 stroke backwards.

Replies15
  1. #1uffex2022-08-09 05:52

    Good day & welcome You have two possibilities the first you have discounted as the hose lines will not connect, the remaining is that of the pilot control lines switched, this will simply resolve the problem. If you post some photo's it maybe we can identity exactly the points to address. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2EvdogIHI2022-08-09 13:24

    Is there any way that i could have assembled the motor wrong for it to work perfectly, just backwards? I never touched the control lines. This is what the motor looks like. Could the 2 valves have swapped flow somehow?

  3. #3uffex2022-08-09 13:38

    Good day It may be possible however without a breakdown of the motor it's difficult to say, see attached is it the same? Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4uffex2022-08-09 13:39

    Illustration

  5. #5EvdogIHI2022-08-09 13:50

    Its not exactly the same. I attached a photo of mine in my last reply. Mine has two inlets and 1 outlet. Are the two circles items valves? Is there any way to "reset" them?

  6. #6uffex2022-08-09 13:57

    Good day I am not absolutely sure but it maybe possible you have assembled the body 180 degrees out switching the ports, that is the only assumption I can come up with. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7heymccall2022-08-09 14:01

    That looks similar to this style, on my rockhounds. What I do now, because the instructions are vague....before teardown,, add some oil to unit on bench, turn shaft CW and note which port exhausts oil. Then after resealing , add a little oil, turn shaft CW and verify same output port. If reversed, move valve plate one tooth and retry.

  8. #8heymccall2022-08-09 14:03

    Full 2000 series manual vvv

  9. #9Tommy Bondo2022-08-09 14:25

    I did that once years ago. Once. After that I always made sure I timed the motor correctly. Sucked having to remove and fix that puppy twice.

  10. #10EvdogIHI2022-08-09 15:51

    Dammit. Thank you so much. That must be my problem. Dealing with oil pumps on my dirtbike i knew there was probably some timing involved with this. I didnt know where to start as far as finding a manual because all of the serial numbers i looked up came back to nothing. Off to removing it again. ( i just pulled it out and disassembled and reassembled not even 30 mins ago). I'm getting pretty good at it now

  11. #11EvdogIHI2022-08-09 15:52

    On my 3rd time taking it out. Just put it back in for the 2nd time, tested it and no luck. Then i come on here and you guys got it figured out! Oh well. I'm pretty quick now

  12. #12EvdogIHI2022-08-09 17:21

    WOOHOO. thank you guys so much. It would have taken me forever to figure that out. The machine works how it should now. I greatly appreciate your help.

  13. #13hosspuller2022-08-09 19:56

    Thanks for coming back to tell us the fix. It's so frustrating to see a problem, several suggested fixes, but no resolution.... As the original poster ghosts the forum. I hope you stick around to add to the brain trust knowledge.

  14. #14EvdogIHI2022-08-09 19:59

    That is always frustrating when the OP doesnt come back and just ends and otherwise good thread. I'll stick around and definitely ask more questions and more problems arise haha

  15. #15hosspuller2022-08-09 20:04

    Evdog ... You are quick ... hour & half to take motor out, reverse the valve, put it back, and post on the forum..