Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swing motor excess play

racerboy832 ยท 2023-09-29 14:59

We have a JCB Hydradig excavator that since new has a bunch of side to side play that I cant see being normal. It felt to me like they forgot to bolt the slew motor down but it was tight. It sounds like a bunch of gears knocking around when you physically grab the boom and rock it back and forth by hand. Before everyone tears me up about owning a Jcb I must add that Jcb uses Nachi rotary motors like many of the other brands. Anyone out there knows what would cause excessive play in a new rotation group? Shims? Thank you.

Replies4
  1. #1uffex2023-09-30 06:38

    Good day I suggest drain some lube from the transmission if you are clear the trouble is at the swing/slew ring. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2racerboy8322023-09-30 07:29

    If you rock the machine with the engine off you get a knocking sound out of the swing motor. I know there is a couple sets of planetary gears in there. Is there anything that needs to be shimmed or was installed incorrectly when the factory built the swing motor?

  3. #3uffex2023-09-30 08:02

    Good day There is no shims to affect the swing flank play, many manufactures will produce data according to the movement present when the engine is dead. Be sure the transmission bolts are tight. Following your question I have made a quick search, no luck as yet, much depends on the diameter of the swing ring. I suspect the machine maybe a subject of five gallon & decal engineering, such as a Wacker N superstructure with JCB engine and undercarriage. I will try to get more details and post you back as well as the common way to measure flank play as soon as I can dig it out. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4uffex2023-09-30 11:24

    Good day How too measure flank play. Kind regards Uffex