I haven't spent much time on an excavator, but I am decent at making it do what I want it to do. However, I haven't spent any time around other operators to learn techniques. When you swing one way and are ready to swing back the other way, do you wait until it stops before you reverse the lever?
Good day nut wad Most manufactures will consider reverse swing practice to stop the machine as detrimental to the machine, you may find this information of interesthttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVDRiO8vL-k. Kind regards Uffex
You'll notice very little effect by reversing the lever during swing operation. During the swing braking function, the braking's performed by the crossover relief valves. By reversing the lever all that happens is all the pump flow will head to the swing motor and more than likely head through the relief valve port and back up through the return line. IMO all you'll do is waste fuel.
This is funny cause I get my butt chewed for letting the brake kick in. Swing and and feather out and into swinging never stop. What the owner wants. I don't pay the bills
There is no actual brake that operates while swinging the machine. It only works to hold the house still when you don't touch a control for seven seconds or more. The relief cartridges put pressure against the turning motor until the house stops turning. The explanation from garyw and uffex is accurate in that putting pump pressure on the relieving cartridge only holds it over relief longer causing heat and wasted fuel.