How does one go about changing out the bushings on a 590 backhoe swing tower? Any tips on this?
Which bushings are you wanting to replace?
The bushings where the boom pivots from side to side. I haven't looked it over real close but the boom at the pivot pin by the lock up probably moves 3/16 of an inch. I probably will never own another hoe and want to take care of it.
It’s kind of a long process.
I did my 580sl a year ago. I was sick of the flopping and banging when driving around. I used 36" bucket and had hoe extended as flat as possible (with extenda hoe out). I took out left and right swing rod pins out. Had large block of wood under boom. I used the stabilizers to lower myself until boom weight was off swing tower pins. Removed tower pins. I then retracted extendahoe until the two seperated just enough to access all bushings. Torched out bushings. Label all new bushings, there are different lenghts. I started with bottoms first so I had room to pound in though other holes. I soaked bushings in liquid nitrogen but still had to really beat them in with a long piece of round bar. They didn't magically drop in like the internet led me to believe. Once done, make sure your greased shims are back in and use the hydraulics to realign holes for pin install. Grease, swing, grease, swing, grease, use a bit, grease more. This is a short summary from someone without all the proper tools or experience. Watch so you don't rip off or burn the hoses.
You forgot the pixey dust.
is special tools required removing bearings and pins. I need to change mines on a jcb 3cx backhoe . slew swing ram pins and bearings
I've only done the boom bushings & pins … so my input is limited. One can torch the bushings out or weld beads inside to shrink the bushings. The other method is to get a hollow hydraulic cylinder and pull them out. The hollow cylinder is also used to install the new bushings. A 30 ton hollow cylinder can be had from e-bay relatively cheap. That's what I did.
yes had a hydraulic jack handy worked out alright . at 130$ hr and travelling time 98$ per klm which is 200 kl closest shop I have to be creative for sure. thanks
Always better to pull them in as driving tends to oval or egg shape and can dink one where pins do not smoothly roll leading to ever quicker failure later.