Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swinger or willmar wrangler wheel loaders

fendtman ยท 2009-05-01 16:11

which is the better of the two. know of any good used ones out there for sale.

Replies20
  1. #1pigpig2009-07-22 07:37

    I own a swinger 160, love it, never tried a wilmar.

  2. #2pistons2010-03-07 20:46

    We have an old loader with Dana 60 diff., spider gears stripped twice in 30 years service. not bad I would say. We currently have a Willmar and really like it. I am sure we will invest far more money in the hydraulic system than the old one in 30 years. At least with the swinger you only have one hyd. motor. As with any new machine, dealer and service can be the deal maker.

  3. #3adam215842010-03-07 22:28

    Personally I like swingers. I have been around the 2000 and 240. I like them both, With a good operator they are fast and productive. They are some what high maintenance though. Allot of power for a little machine. I prefer the 2000 because of the 2 speed transfer case.

  4. #4trainmax2010-05-10 16:26

    Where did you get the new gears from? How much did it cost to fix it? I am looking at buying one and the rear wheels do not work. I am thinking it may be the same thing. It's a 1979 model.

  5. #5trainmax2010-05-10 19:10

    Where did you get the new gears from? How much did it cost to fix it? I am looking at buying one and the rear wheels do not work. I am thinking it may be the same thing. It's a 1979 model.

  6. #6pistons2010-05-10 22:25

    We were lucky in that a local repair shop happened to have a whole rear end out of the same loader and we just swapped it out. I would think a good drive-line shop should be able to help you out. I will check and see if I can get some part numbers from the local guy. The last time the gears stripped, if busted the whole inner gear carrier. Another thought. Some one should be able to cut down and make narrower a truck rear end.

  7. #7trainmax2010-05-24 10:59

    Rear axle I was not so lucky the read axle is sheared in half trying to find a new one will let you know how it turns out.

  8. #8cutting edge2010-05-24 11:04

    What are you going to use it for?

  9. #9trainmax2010-05-24 11:29

    Axle I got it for our Railroad museum to help work on the tracks. Will be moving dirt and RR ballast I am also making a set of forks for lifting Railroad ties and stuff. I will not be working it every day and I will be the one to run it. Is there a truck rear end I can buy and cut down to fit? I have every thing here to weld it together. Just got the price for a new axle $492.44 plus shipping.

  10. #10hammerdwn202010-06-12 21:34

    we have a swinger at work and it is a powerful machine for its size. It has all 4 tires filled solid and extra counterweight on the back. It will still lift the rear tires. Dumps over the top of our single axle better than our bobcat. We love it!

  11. #11ogs10222010-10-04 21:47

    I have had both but recently did a demo with the new Wacker Neuson WL-30 and beats them both hands down. Their parts availability and dealer network is huge.

  12. #12Sparkie2011-08-05 23:56

    We've got wranglers at work. One for general lifting of whatever and snow removal. And the other spends most of its time loading fertilizer. Our general use one is a 1992 with 5000 hours on it. I'd trust it over the newer 4550 anyday, its just a dinosaur

  13. #13pitboss2013-01-08 11:09

    They are both good machines but there is a new machine made by Wacker Neuson that I am hearing a lot of good things about.

  14. #14JGS Parts2013-01-08 16:31

    are these little loaders manufactured in the USA? are they expensive?

  15. #15lumberjack2013-01-08 22:54

    If you're looking new, I would suggest Gehl, which was built in conjunction with/ Wacker Neuson although it's made in South Dokota. I have the AL540, and my climber has the AL140. I have oodles of video of them. The 140 is around $26-27k, $340 is around $34k, the AL540 is around $41k. All these are rough ballparks. The 140 and 540 are fairly accurate, the 340 is approximate. Currently the dealer portal is down for maintenance.

  16. #16icestationzebra2013-01-08 23:57

    I can tell you in no uncertain terms that Wacker Neuson was never involved in the design of the Gehl loaders. ISZ

  17. #17lumberjack2013-01-09 01:37

    "... n conjunction with/*based their design on* Waker Nueson..." Before Gehl/Mustang set up the current deal with Yanmar, their excavators were private label Wacker Neusons. The WL30 and the AL540 are cousins, if not siblings. However, I am not entirely certain of the arrangement regarding the wheel loaders; I would be happy to email the AL product manager for further details.

  18. #18icestationzebra2013-01-13 21:16

    You are correct that Gehl was selling rebranded Wacker Neuson products. That effectively ended with the introduction of the AL loaders, otherwise why would they now hook up with Yanmar for excavators? And no they are not cousins or brothers. Lets just say one is a reflection of the other. It is very difficult to make money selling rebranded equipment, much less ones that you have to ship all the way from Austria. ISZ

  19. #19lumberjack2013-01-13 21:27

    Haha so they're unrelated twins? Their marketing of the excavators is horribly weak... most of their advertising is weak in my opinion. Are you near West Bend perhaps? 4001298/42428 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKI5lOELeb0

  20. #20icestationzebra2013-01-13 21:34

    One side was consenting and the other didn't know what was happening. And bullseye. ISZ