Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swung gear query – hitachi ex200-3

scottish ยท 2013-05-20 14:18

Hi, I have a quick query about my 1996 hitachi ex200-3 swing gear - how/where do I grease the cogs/teeth?? I have checked the oil in the swing motor and its okay, but how do I lubricate the drive cog and toothed ring? There's no access from below I can see, and no inspection cover/plate I can find up top behind the lift ram bases on the turntable (where I believe some machines have an accessible grease 'well'). I have greased the slew ring bearing via the 2 nipples on the face of the slew regularly and my mechanic tells me this will also grease the swing gear on this model, but I am unconvinced. Can anyone help/does anyone have a definitive answer for this vintage of hitachi ex200? I hate running a machine that I'm not 100% sure is correctly lubricated in such a vital and inaccessible area..... Cheers in advance for all assistance

Replies6
  1. #1Scrapper2013-05-20 16:13

    Did you check inside the tool box?

  2. #2scottish2013-05-20 16:40

    Ah-ha! I never even thought of checking there! will check it out tomorrow. From memory I think the tool box might be too far 'outside' of the ring gear to provide access, but I could very easily be wrong.... How full of grease should the well be, assuming I locate it?!

  3. #3Cryil Noble2021-04-26 21:27

    Hi, Just curious cause i have a ex200-3, was the turntable access in the excavator tool box?

  4. #4shopguy2021-04-26 21:51

    Two bolt cover in tool box

  5. #5361brock2021-04-27 18:55

    The tool box is where mine is, and my Hitachi is much older. Put on a pair of rubber gloves and press it into the opening onto the gear, spin the turn table a few feet and do it again till you have gone completely around. Buy a case of grease, probably use most of it.

  6. #6maineplower2021-04-27 19:33

    What type of grease are you guys using?