I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading my little dozer. Needs a motor, and a undercarriage, so its time. I primarily use it to push beans, broccoli, corn, and cauliflower into a silage pit for animal feed. Not very abrasive by any means. Anyways, the D3 gets around 250hrs a year doing this. I can only imagine the new machine won't see more than 125hrs a year, being that a newer and larger machine would be much more efficient. So, it won't be heavily used but, handy to have a around. I've ruled out renting as the dozer is used from July until mid November. I've been looking at D5k2 LGP dozers, and a couple D6k LGP machines in the same price range. The 6s have system 1 undercarriage with the 7 rollers on the bottom and 1 up top. I've heard some terrible things about the system 1 undercarriage, that raise concerns. I guess what I'm asking is, if a system 1 undercarriage in a non abrasive environment, fairly flat surface, with minimal twisting or turning, work for my application? The pro's for the D6 machines is that all have cabs, while the D5s don't. Would I be a fool to grab a 6k with system 1 under it or a newer D5k2 if prices are comparable? Thoughts or opinions?
There is a thread on here with a video about System 1. HeavyEquipmentForums There are other threads and videos covering undercarriage.
If it’s on narrow shoes it’ll last okay on what you’re planning to do.
Unfortunately it would need LGP pads.
IMHO if you must go LGP on pad width that pretty well precludes the use of SystemOne undercarriage from what I've seen & heard. It seems to make sense when you look at the inherent "flexibility" of the S1 link joints compared to HD links.
With my undercarriage company, we convert system 1 machines to standard undercarriage. System 1 is so insanely expensive to replace through Cat....we've got a way around that now.
So have Cat, and just about every other U/C company out there. The information how to convert SystemOne to Heavy Duty undercarriage isn't exactly a state secret.
I think he was saying he has found a less expensive way to do it is all
Pretty much.... Lol. Sure you can go with cat to get out of system 1....but it's still going to be gold plated expensive.
It always pays to shop around but sometimes Cat have offers on HD undercarriage that makes it pretty hard to ignore. Of course where you are Cat is Finning so that may not apply. TBH I'd only consider aftermarket for a machine that was working a maximum of single-shift, 5 days a week. Multi-shift 24/7/365 operation and aftermarket simply doesn't live.
I've looked at a couple different K series dozers over the last couple weeks. Couple 5k2, 3k2, then a 6k and later this week a 4k2. When it comes to the K2 series, is there anything in particular I should really pay attention to? Besides the obvious/typical stuff like leaking cylinders, worn undercarriage, ran through a salt mine, etc. Couple weeks ago, I was looking at a local auction that had a poor d4k2, that was so rusted out...it must have worked in salt water, or some type of chemical. Poor thing.
Not obvious, but see if you can grease the C frame pins and the centre pin of the equaliser bar. If you can’t force grease in fairly easily it’s a fair bet they haven’t been done regularly and it might soon need work. Otherwise, track condition, general play on pins, there aren’t any specific weaknesses on these machines. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good idea what to look for. Service record is always good to have as well.
Another question. I notice some dozers say made in Japan and other US. Are the Japan dozers essentially grey market machines?
Not necessarily, if a machine was built in Japan for the OSJ (Outside Japan) market. Generally if there is no information in SIS for the Serial Number (or S/N prefix) then the machine was built for the ISJ market - grey market in other words. Parts & Service information can be a problem. This is certainly true for excavators, not sure about tracked dozers. If all the Parts & Service info is available then it's OSJ and much easier to deal with.
Thanks Nige for clearing that up.