Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

T 590 overheathooting

punchlist · 2018-10-27 18:28

I have a new to me 2013 t590 that is overheating. So far I have taken the radiator out of the machine and the checked to make sure that it isn’t clogged with dirt/mud. I didn’t notice the hydraulic fan come on while it is running. I lifted the cab to check on the fan I see a lot of splices and stripped wires going to the fan I’m not sure of the troubleshooting process for the fan does one set of wires control engine temp on and one hydraulic temp on? Also how hard should the fan be to turn by hand ? Thanks in advance

Replies11
  1. #1crewchief8882018-10-28 15:22

    do not stuck your hands anywhere around the fan while the engine is running!! with the engine off, the fan should spin freely (more or less) with a little resistance. the hyd fan should be turning whenever the engine is running. at 125F (eng temp) you should hear the fan "kick up" to a higher RPM, and retain that RPM until approx 185F (eng temp), and it will ramp up again. the engine should cool down to approx 178F and the fan speed will vary to keep it at approx that temp. if you have a bunch of damaged wiring fix that 1st. there are 2 harness connectors, 2 wire connector is for the fan speed coil, the 3 wire connector is for hydrostatic charge pressure.

  2. #2punchlist2018-10-29 11:52

    Ok when the engine is started the fan isn’t turning still haven’t had a chance to straighten out the wires yet but they should be making contact . Thinking about cracking the hyd line to the motor to check if there is any flow at the motor

  3. #3punchlist2018-10-29 18:18

    Ok so this evening I had a few minutes and if I start the machine and crack the lines there is fluid at the hard lines. I pulled the filter and there appears to be gold colored metal flakes in the oil on the filter. With the machine running I spun the fan and it started spinning at very low Rpms and started to spool down and stopped after about 45 seconds. Just wondering about rebuilding this motor does anybody have any experience with rebuilding one

  4. #4Kxnate2018-10-29 21:58

    Wow, lucky you still have all your fingers!! I remember when I was a teenager first driving something was going on with how my car was running and I leaned in under the hood to listen and when I did that I leaned on my hands on the radiator shroud not thinking about my finger tips hanging down past the shroud, anyways do you remember that sound your peddle bike made when you stuck a playing card in the spokes, yeah same sound with fingers in a metal fan blade!! Thankfully I still have all my fingers, but definately not a feeling i want to feel again. Hope you get your problem figured out.......and retain all your fingers!!

  5. #5crewchief8882018-10-30 17:16

    i doubt the problem originated with the fan motor... the gold flakes you are seeing in the filter is from the charge pump

  6. #6punchlist2018-10-30 17:29

    The fan is fairly hard to spin when the engine is off when I spun it with a wrench it only turned for a short time and it spooled down fairly quickly. the second time it spun an even shorter time. I called bobcat they say there is an up grade pump with new hydraulic lined and a different filter set up so I ordered one . I will disassemble the old one before I install the new in case that there appears to be a simple problem.

  7. #7punchlist2018-10-31 06:34

    So if the flakes come from the charge pump would I be seeing diminished performance on steering/lift lower tilt as well or not necessarily?

  8. #8punchlist2018-11-01 05:14

    Does anybody know what bobcat charge pump pressures should be

  9. #9DPReef2023-04-10 13:06

    Tagging along, my new to me T650 has same setup and similar issue. Hydraulic fan Charging pump -> motor assembly. In my case, when I push the fan going (with a wrench) it starts spinning and doesn't stop. Even goes faster when I drive my machine around the lot. However, everytime I turn off the engine and start again it needs a "kick start". Called bobcat, and they said to replace the whole thing (what other advice would they give). Not sure if something is breaking dow in the motor or if debris is in there, my next step is to flush the hydraulic system and check filters and make a call if I try to see if that fixes before I replace the motor. Motor + new hose kit $2k...... ouch. Any other advice from this gurus here?

  10. #10ozarkag2023-04-10 22:20

    My 2 bits... find and fix the failed motor or pump before flushing, as you'll need to thoroughly flush after replacing. I would start with checking filters for metallic debris, both the fan filter and the main filter. I haven't yet seen one that doesn't turn at all, can't be good. And unfortunately there is no repair or rebuild option, will need a whole new motor if that is the problem. Seems a common problem is the fan won't speed up, often due to the solenoid on the motor getting a spec of whatever stuck in the valves stem. Often can simply clean and reinstall. These do require power to slow down, so unplugging will kick the fan to high speed.

  11. #11DPReef2023-04-16 21:31

    Follow-up. So I replaced the charge filter which was really dark, didn't see any metal shavings, flushed hydraulics from the fan to the reservoir with new fluid, cleaned the fan, and added some silicon grease where the shaft meets the motor. Fan starts moving on start-up and spins much faster than it used to when I would "kick start it". Hopefully it stays that way