Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

T190 Exhaust Leak

NCPIPELINE ยท 2013-02-28 13:54

The inside of my engine compartment is almost completely black!!! AHHH!!!! :Banghead I am thinking it is coming from the exhaust manifold, anyone have clever ideas on how to find exact leak?

Replies41
  1. #1mikebramel2013-02-28 16:51

    A smoke machine non running into the exhaust. Or running you can mist water into the engine

  2. #2Bobcatdan2013-02-28 19:34

    They always leak where the flexpipe goes into the muffler. Pull it apart, put muffler gunk and use a better clamp.

  3. #3NCPIPELINE2013-03-01 07:41

    10-4. Will update Monday.

  4. #4crewchief8882013-03-01 11:36

    flex pipe is probably broken, very common on t190's nearly every t190 that comes through our shop needs one replaced :drinkup

  5. #5NCPIPELINE2013-03-01 15:30

    When priming the fuel system, there is a little knob, after priming should it be tightened?

  6. #6crewchief8882013-03-01 16:05

    makes no differece if it's open or closed, it's there to bleed trapped air off the top of the pump :drinkup

  7. #7NCPIPELINE2013-03-04 07:59

    ahh got ya, we keep having to prime our T190. After a few its like it loses its prime or something ideas?

  8. #8crewchief8882013-03-04 17:06

    if it's loosing it's prime, especially after being shut down for a while, screen/check valve in the tank could be missing, (you didnt blow compressed air back through the suction hose from the primer bulb to the tank did you?) fuel suction hose inside the tank could cracked or split and be sucking air primer bulb could be bad. i'd guess all the above the primer bulb isnt collasping is it? :drinkup

  9. #9NCPIPELINE2013-03-05 06:10

    No to blowing air into tank No to I don't think primer bulb is bad, also not collapsing. When priming it pushes fuel out of bleed screw... Fuel suction hose could be in question. I'm thinking at the moment that the "guys"... in the field were messing with the bleed screw and priming bulb when issue occurred and they actually made it worse. After priming it up yesterday and a new fuel filter I have not been able to duplicate condition expressed by said "guys"... LMAO

  10. #10crewchief8882013-03-05 15:37

    i have seen on very rare occasions if the bleed screw isnt closed that they'll bleed back a little fuel, but it seems like it coincides with a bad primer bulb. if the tank is full of fuel, let it run for a while (several hours) as the fuel level drops, shut it down and see if the problem comes back. sign of a cracked pickup hose iside the tank. some later machines dont have the suction screen/ check valve in the tank, i've had to install a check valve and hose in the tank to stop the same problem. granted, it happens less than 1% of the time. :drinkup

  11. #11HarryN2013-03-05 17:38

    Curious..... did you solve the exhaust leak?

  12. #12NCPIPELINE2013-03-06 05:49

    I believe I did. I think it was leaking from where the flex pipe goes into the muffler then clamps. I took apart, cleaned, and gunked it up good and pressed it back together and tightened it up. Have not had a chance to look at it since the repair. We verify in the coming days.

  13. #13NCPIPELINE2013-03-06 05:51

    Its a 2007. I am curious to what would be a "bad" primer bulb, would it have to have a crack to be bad?

  14. #14Bobcatdan2013-03-06 12:27

    Primer balls have a one way check vavle.

  15. #15NCPIPELINE2013-03-06 12:28

    So if the check valve was broke it could be letting fuel back track?

  16. #16crewchief8882013-03-07 21:08

    yes it could. :drinkup

  17. #17NCPIPELINE2013-03-08 05:48

    hmmm interesting

  18. #18NCPIPELINE2013-03-08 08:34

    Is there a way to test the check valve for operation?

  19. #19NCPIPELINE2013-03-08 11:45

    So we definitely have some kind of fuel "issue" machine mysteriously dies, prime it a few times and away you go... The problem is I can can duplicate the problem @ the moment. I am going of "field" information...

  20. #20crewchief8882013-03-08 15:13

    next time it dies, DON'T prime it, set it sit and then try to restart. the "mysteriously dies" has got me wondering something else :drinkup

  21. #21NCPIPELINE2013-03-08 15:32

    10-4

  22. #22Bobcatdan2013-03-08 19:54

    I had a rash of bad fuel caps not allowing the tank to breath. First this change the fuel filter.

  23. #23crewchief8882013-03-10 20:22

    i'm wondering if the fuel solenoid hold coil is going bad,... it mysteriously dies. by the time the primer bulb is pumped a few times, the coil cools off and it'll restart.. :drinkup

  24. #24willie592013-03-10 21:07

    Agreed, gotta eliminate all possibilities. Get a piece of tie wire and tie that sucker back to eliminate that one.

  25. #25NCPIPELINE2013-03-11 06:31

    It has pretty new solenoid, I think I replaced it 2 month's ago. The fuel cap sounds like an idea maybe.

  26. #26crewchief8882013-03-11 17:58

    is it the older external type with linkage? or the newer internal style with the plunger? :drinkup

  27. #27NCPIPELINE2013-03-12 05:52

    Internal with plunger

  28. #28crewchief8882013-03-12 14:50

    hmmm and you havent been able to duplicate the problem at the shop? i'd start checking wiring right at the battery, especially the small grounds on the neg cable. and work your way fwd under the cab, fuse/relay panel (for corrosion) and the main controller for loose or corroded connectors. :drinkup clean all the connections.

  29. #29caveman642013-03-12 15:27

    hey man if its is cold in the morning open back door ,turn motor over white smoke should come out at all the places that you have a leak

  30. #30caveman642013-03-12 15:30

    sorry this reply posted to the wrong question

  31. #31NCPIPELINE2013-03-25 14:28

    OK! Lets bring this up again. Problem still persists. Running machine fine then just shuts off. I said I could not duplicate the problem at the shop. This is still true. But this morning after I got it cranked I hoped in and was creeping forward moving it out of the way of a truck and its like the throttle response was just gone like just hanging low when trying to crank it up.... IDK if it was because it was still cold or if the 2 problems are related.

  32. #32crewchief8882013-03-25 17:12

    when it shuts off, are there any fault codes?

  33. #33NCPIPELINE2013-03-26 10:14

    Not at this time. I am going to fix a small hydraulic leak and replace the bleeder screw since maybe it was sucking a lil air? (it looks mangled anyways) then I will report back.

  34. #34NCPIPELINE2013-03-27 05:59

    So yesterday, I pulled the bleeder screw and bolt out of fuel filter housing and hand primed idk lets say 10-12 times to get pure fuel coming out with no bubbles. Once I had the cavity filled I stopped priming and sat and watched to see fit he fuel would leak back. It did NOT. Installed bleeder bolt and screw and kept handing priming a few more strokes to ensure the air was off the top. Tightened it up, Primed the bulb 2 more times and the bulb finally god HARD. So I assume that I had reached maximum fuel amounts. Tightened a drive motor hose that was dripping and searched for a few other leaks and drove down the road. 45 minutes in the seat not an issue. Like I said I had never been able to duplicate the problem. So here we go again LOL

  35. #35NCPIPELINE2013-04-25 06:04

    UPDATE: Here is the skinny, when the machine is full it runs fine, when it started to get around 3/4 it started to sputter a few times then picked it self up, then all of a sudden died. No go. When I tried to prime it, I took the gas cap off and I could hear it bubbling when pushing the bulb, but then like a sucking sound when it should be drawing in fuel. Tried to start it would crank up then die, tried this 3 or 4 times with same results, put 5 gallons of diesel in and primed, and "WALLA" fires right up and runs good again. Crack in pick up tube?

  36. #36crewchief8882013-04-25 18:50

    thats what it sounds like to me... :drinkup

  37. #37NCPIPELINE2013-04-26 05:46

    Awesome atleat I know where to start, now can someone provide me with some information on getting the repair completed its a 2007 T190, pictures would be great... :notworthy

  38. #38crewchief8882013-04-26 18:07

    willie has a thread on bobcat fuel pickup repair an '07 should have the pickup tube without the screen on it. maybe the tube got kinked and is cracked. the only thing that i know of that will kink the tube is a plugged vent in the fuel cap. the lift pump will evenually pull a vaccumm in the tank to the point where it collaspes the top of bottom of the tank, and will hit the ridgid pickup tube. you can replace the ridgid tube (if you want to) with the hose/clamps/ screen set up from the earlier models. :drinkup

  39. #39NCPIPELINE2013-04-27 05:50

    Is the tube and elbow/grommet 1 piece? I was thinking it might have came off all together

  40. #40crewchief8882013-04-27 10:04

    3 pieces grommet elbow and tube. you may have a plastic elbow. i'd advise replacing it with the steel elbow replace the grommet while you have it out, most of the old grommets are a real PITA to get back in :drinkup

  41. #41willie592013-04-27 19:39

    Here's a thread for ya NCPIPELINE. > HeavyEquipmentForums