Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

T190 traction lock problem

Philosaw ยท 2016-02-13 22:13

I have a 2003 t190 foot control machine with 2600 hrs. I recently rebuilt the spools with a lot of great help from this forum. After I successfully completed the operation I worked the machine for 2 hrs and it developed another leak. Of course the first thing I thought was that I'd somehow messed up on the repair. I emmediately started the procedure over and went to pull off the spool locking block, but when I energized it, nothing happened and the traction light was blinking. I then thought that since I had the handle assembly off, that was the problem, so I put it back and plugged everything back in. I tried energizing again and same thing. Did it a couple more times and the block unlocked, but the light kept flashing. I found that I had a missing screw on the auxiliary spool that was the leak, so easy fix. Went to reassemble and the block slid right on when enrgized after a couple tries. Now when complete it will not unlock, period. I checked the traction fuse and relay and both are good. I checked continuity through the plugs and were good. I checked voltage and both solenoid had 3.6v, but my shop manual doesn't say what the voltages should be. I've about run out of ideas and could sure use some help.

Replies10
  1. #1willie592016-02-13 22:48

    Unless I'm not reading your post correctly, I'm reading that you replaced the seals in the loader control valve and have now developed a problem with the traction lock. If I have this correct, the loader control and traction lock are different components of the machine. You mention that the LED for traction lock "kept flashing", correct? Anytime one of the LED lights on the BICS controller is flashing that typically indicates an active fault. Do you hear three short beeps from the alarm when this happens?

  2. #2Philosaw2016-02-13 23:51

    Thanks for the reply. The reason I thought the traction lock and the spool locks were inter-related was because they both function simultaneously and when the light started flashing, I had the problem with the spool locks and brake locks together. I did look up the flash code and it said traction lock circuit open. No alarm beeps because it quit working a while back.

  3. #3willie592016-02-14 00:06

    Yes, the two functions, traction lock and lift/tilt lock, do work "simultaneously" when you push the enable button, that's what the main controller (ECU) does as it controls all electrical functions of the machine, but they are two different circuits that are controlled the the main controller. What I meant by the three short beeps. On Bobcat G Series machines, which a T190 would be, the BICS system notices active faults with systems that it controls. And these faults will typically sound three short beeps of the alarm. At that point the operator should push and hold down the work light button, this will bring up the active code that caused the alarm which will be shown in the hour meter display, like XX-XX. If you shut the machine off, everything re-sets, Bobcat machines do not "store codes", they only work with "active" fault codes.

  4. #4Philosaw2016-02-14 00:18

    Ok, that makes sense. What I don't get though is why they both don't function. I guess the code retrieval tomorrow will tell me something. Thanks again.

  5. #5Philosaw2016-02-14 21:09

    Well, the code was the same as the light, which is traction lock solenoid-secondary. I spent a good hour going through the shop manual and the only mention of the traction lock occurs in the codes. Is it the same as the brake lock? The original reason I pulled the machine into the shop was because my 4 in 1 stopped closing, which I believe is electrical. Then came the lift/tilt solenoid problem quickly followed by the traction lock problem. Am I crazy thinking there might be a common thread here?

  6. #6willie592016-02-14 21:34

    Yes, traction lock and parking brake are one in the same, different terms describing the same thing. What code are you getting?

  7. #7Philosaw2016-02-15 01:43

    The code was 16. The light flashes were single blinks spaced. Thanks for your help.

  8. #8willie592016-02-15 19:25

    Are we talking about a code that comes up in the hour meter display? If yes, it should be a four digit code, something like 16-05.

  9. #9Philosaw2016-02-15 22:36

    Yeah, it did come up in the hour meter and it was a straight 16, and thanks to your directing me to the brake block, I found a bad connection. Fixed it turned the key back on and whalah all is good. Light stopped blinking, brake unlocked and spools unlocked. The reason I pulled into the shop in the first place was for the 4 in 1 only working in one direction. It's now ok too, but I'm not thinking it had anything to do with the plug, but what the heck, I'll take it. Thanks Willie59! Couldn't have done it without your help.

  10. #10willie592016-02-15 22:53

    Well, umm, glad I was of help in some form, even though I'm baffled at the code that came up in the hour meter, it should be a 4 digit code. :beatsme But hey, all I care is you got it sorted out. :drinkup