Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

T250 Double trouble

basicequipment ยท 2015-11-12 21:24

Hey guys. I want to start by thanking all of you who keep this forum up and going and loaded with useful troubleshooting content. I have a 2007 T250 that has never given any electrical problems in the past but all of a sudden I have had problem after problem. First issue was the machine started dying. It would restart then die again after a few seconds. I got the famous 3 beeps and I checked the codes. It was showing 13-06 only. I figured it was the hold coil going out on the solenoid which I have experienced with other Kubotas in the past so I did what any fool in a bind would do and I pulled the fuel solenoid and capped the hole so i could finish up. Everything went fine for about 45 minutes or an hour, then after manually shutting the machine down and restarting a couple of times, the starter would no longer spin over so I jumped the start terminal then went back to work. The next time I shut it down then restarted, the foot pedals were locked and I got the 18-06 code. All of the BIC lights are on as they should be. I have the new fuel solenoid coming in tomorrow but I am now certain something much worse is going on. I hope I'm wrong but my way of thinking tells me the engine still won't spin over tomorrow when I install the new shutdown solenoid and the control lockout probably still won't disengage either. I've done a lot of old school mechanicing but I am lost when it comes to the newer technology. I'm pretthy sure I have a short in the harness somewhere but I can't find anything. One thing I need to mention is that this machine sits for long periods of time and I have seen signs of mice in the cab but I have looked all over the wiring harness for any sign of chewing and I can't find any issues with it. I have also cleand the battery cable posts and end to make sure it was not a voltage drop or ground issue. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Feel free to tell me what an idiot I am for pulling the fuel solenoid and going back to work. I did check oil levels and temps before I did it. Sometimes you just gotta do what you just gotta do to get done. I've paid the price many times before. Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1willie592015-11-12 23:09

    Both those codes you mentioned are a "short to ground" code". And if the main controller is seeing a short to ground you can pretty much bet that's the case. The question is "where is it?". And you beat me to it, as I was reading your post I was already asking if mice have claimed squatters rights in your machine. You're in a helluva pickle brother, the starter isn't a big deal if you can jump it and operate the machine, and I don't think the missing fuel solenoid and shutting it down manually is a big deal as well, maybe inconvenient, but nothing detrimental to the machine. The big problem is the short circuit with the spool lock solenoids, that will pretty much put you out of service. The wiring harness on a Bobcat can be difficult in some spots to inspect and/or access, and in some cases require removal of body parts to access the harness. You have a project in your hands, no way I can tell you where the problem is, but if that main controller is seeing some short to ground problems you can pretty much bet it's for real, I just don't know what to tell you in finding them.

  2. #2basicequipment2015-11-13 08:36

    Thanks willie59! I was hoping you and crewchief would see this post and chime in. I am going to try to get ahold of the wiring schematics for this machine and see if I can find an area in the wiring systems where all of these systems are grouped together then try to isolate the area of the troubles. The first thing coming to mind without a schematic is pulling the instrument panel and key switch since I am certain all of these functions sort of originate here. This machine is enclosed cab by the way. Mouse hotel! I did find a nest full of mice babies under the seat this AM! Just my luck. If any of you guys have any other suggested areas to investigate I would appreciate your thoughts! Thanks again!

  3. #3stovein2015-11-13 10:51

    It's too late now but NAPA used to carry a aerosol repellent called Mouse Out for combines and other equipment stored for a time. I used it once but cannot say whether or not it worked just did not have any mice.

  4. #4basicequipment2015-11-13 11:15

    Well, I pulled the instrument panel, key switch panel and head liner out, then pulled the wire hiring harness out all the way to the back glass. I only found 3 chewed wires and they were not grounding. They are also not in use on this machine. They were the quick tach, flashers and turn signal switch wires. I taped those places off and plugged everything up with the harness out, reconnected the battery and tried it while wiggling the harness wires and plugs. Still no luck. I will continue to update as I work my way through the harness. I've already inspected the mainframe harness and it all looks good. Thanks for the tip on the mouse repellent stovein. I will make sure to get some once we get her going again. Bound to smell better than the ammonia from all the mouse pee!

  5. #5crewchief8882015-11-13 17:00

    couple of common places for wiring issues on track machines are area around where the cab harness plugs into the main harness between the cab/main harness connector (fwd) towards the bobcat controller. fuse/relay box :drinkup