I don't really see a lot of tractor or tandem questions here but thought I might ask a question or two anyway since it is after hours for my cat dealer. I don't have the serial number in front of me but it is an MBN prefix. Driver said it was like he shut off the key. No restart no smoke. 90% of the time when I get these calls the problem is in the battery box. But I have power and ground where I am supposed to at the ecu. It looks like I need to change the the injector wire harness under the valve covers. Oil in the plug. Blink codes came up 74, 72 and 73. I think that the injector driver in the ecu has failed. Maybe someone here has a better idea. At the very least I bet someone can tell me if a replacement ecu from the dealer is plug and play or has to be programmed. Or maybe can be pre programmed? Had quite a hard time getting a dead tandem full of base course on the low boy this afternoon. Really tore up the decking. If you have enjoyed this post remember to like and subscribe and stay tuned for my upcoming post, "what wood is best for trailer decking?"
All the cylinder fault codes and- 99% of the time it's been related to cam/crank sensor. Have had them shut down at 60 plus mph instantly dead.
Thanks, I will check those out.
I couldn't find anything wrong with either the cam or crank sensors. I went ahead and bought them because they have never been changed. So I will have them in the parts room. I always have cam sensors for the Cummins rigs I deal with anyway. Iirc, the ecu only needs one of them to run. I kind of remember that if one of them goes out there are symptoms. And usually some speed sensor fault logged. But testing them made me feel better about replacing the ecu. Anytime I have to replace an ecu I am always worried that there was something I forgot to check. But, new ecu this afternoon and she fired right up. Thanks all for the help.
Good it's running. I've had them dead in the water along side the highway with cam sensor out.