I have a 98 214 backhoe and when the machine starts the tach doesn't work until u rev up the motor and then it starts to work . Anyone with any ideas on this problem. Once it gets going it seems to work like it should
Your alternator is not charging until the tach reads, if you wiggle the wire going into the alternator this should solve your problem, also check your belt tension.
Could also be a bad diode in the alternator causing it to not charge until you rev it up. They will usually self excite around 1000rpms and work fine until you shut it off.
It has a newer alternator in it but I will check the wires. It was putting out 14.8 volts at the battery when running. Thanks for the help . One more question on the same line do u have to unbolt the drive shaft at the fly wheel to change belts on that machine
yes you remove the driveshaft to change your belts
That's what I thought was kind of a dumb question thanks