Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi 135 not starting

csthompson12 ยท 2019-09-30 21:53

Hello, Im having some trouble with my 135 excavator with Yanmar engine. It has 4000hrs on it. Lately it has be cranking a long time to start, even when the engine is warm... Usually about 30 seconds. On one job I left it idling, and when to do something else. When I walked back over, it had quit and would not restart. So I put new fuel filters on it, and bled the fuel up to the injectors. (I have fuel squirting when I crack the injector lines and crank the engine) The filters did have a fair amount of crud in them. I then cranked cranked and cranked. Still no start. No smoke. No firing. I'm a little stumped on it. Usually when I get fuel up to the injectors on any machine it will fire over. This Takeuchi was running well with no smoke, the only symptom of an issue was the extended cranking to start. What should I check from here. Compression?

Replies7
  1. #1uffex2019-10-01 01:40

    Good day CST From your explanation it would be more likely a fuel issue your crud may well have had a negative effect down the line. I suggest you check out the fuel feed hose's fittings make absolutely sure these are clean work your way to the fuel lift pump make sure that is doing its job - finally take he fuel injection pump & injectors to a repair shop for checking that should not cost to much, 4k they would be due for a service in any event. Hope that is helpful Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2csthompson122019-10-05 09:32

    Thank you Uffex I did a little more diagnosing... I pulled the injector from cyl 3 (this is a 3 cyl Yanmar). I then hooked it up to the line outside the engine, bled the line and cranked it over. When I had the nut on top the injector loose it pumped fuel out around the nut. When I tightened to nut, I got zero fuel coming out the injector. No spray. I then connected the same injector to the cylinder 2 outlet on the injector pump outside the engine. I cranked it over and got a good spay from the injector tip... Based on this information, would you say my injector pump is bad? Thanks!

  3. #3thepumpguysc2019-10-05 11:30

    It would seem like it.. Theres a large headed nut on the side of the pump.. that's the top nut of the overflow valve.. If u take it off, there should be a spring & piston behind it.. see if the piston will come out, using a magnet. Take notice of the spring.. is it rusty.?? Those pumps WILL NOT accept any water at all.. IF its rusted.. have a look at the fuel inlet bolt.. same condition??

  4. #4uffex2019-10-05 12:03

    Good day CST Master pump guy has experience of the pump from your diagnostics I would say for sure the issue is in the pump, if you don't feel so comfortable splitting it down -remove it and take in to the repair shop for checking out, if I was in your shoes I would take along the injectors for checking also. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5thepumpguysc2019-10-05 19:01

    It could be just a problem w/ THAT cylinder.. BUT the pieces are so small I don't recommend taking it apart. It needs to be done on the work bench.. or by an experienced local pump guy.. who KNOWS whats under that delivery valve holder..

  6. #6csthompson122019-10-07 10:22

    Hi pump guy, are you talking about the large nut just under where the fuel enters? Thank you

  7. #7thepumpguysc2019-10-07 19:12

    Yes..