Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

takeuchi 180fr or 175 owners with coupler please help!

s-moe ยท 2016-05-29 13:16

I have a 2014 Takeuchi tb180fr with a TAG coupler. here is a pic of it curled in all the way. The coupler says tb175 on it. Dealer says 175 and 180 are same and it is correct coupler. Contacted TAG and they took serial numbers from coupler and buckets and said everything matches machine. They stated they design to Takeuchi specs and that is correct curl. They told me: "Just use the thumb to hold material and reduce spillage" So if I didn't have a thumb I would be just ***? Bottom line the curl stinks and it really sucks when digging stone out of a truck or loading into a truck because the material spills out of the bucket. Anyone with a 180fr or 175 could you send me a pic of your bucket curled in. Especially if you have a Tag coupler or a standard Takeuchi bucket with no coupler. I am considering buying a new coupler if I can find one that curls in. Maybe a pin grabber style. Anyone with any advice on brands or other info feel free to chime in. I am frustrated as hell because I like the machine. My Takeuchi 53fr is the reason I bought this thing I assumed the bucket didn't curl in because it was in the wrong pin setting, when I tried the other pin hole it was worse. The tb53fr folds the bucket in against the thumb/stick. Thanks in advance Sean

Replies10
  1. #1eric122016-05-29 13:54

    buying a new coupler probably won't help, you can buy new dog bones that connect the dump/curl cylinder to the coupler. buy longer ones and that will make the bucket curl closer to the stick but you won't be able to dump as far. you could also move the pin to the back hole and that should do the same thing from the photo it looks like you could do that but its hard to tell.

  2. #2s-moe2016-05-29 14:41

    Thanks eric12 I was looking at the dog bones. The other pin hole makes the situation worse. Design is very poor in my opinion. I cannot think of another excavator that I have run with a worse curl issue.

  3. #3tkoden2016-05-30 12:39

    We have never noticed an issue with our 290. I will try to take pictures this week. I know we did special order high capacity buckets which have been amazing.

  4. #4s-moe2016-05-30 20:42

    Thanks tkoden any pics you could take of your machine curled in would be great. Are you running a TAG coupler by chance? I am starting to think about looking if the dog bones (after eric12 mentioned) could be extended either custom or by ordering a piece from Takeuchi. I sent them an email so I am hoping they will reply and follow up with the machine they produce.

  5. #5Muellermarine2016-05-30 21:42

    It really looks like the dog bones are upside down I'll take a look at our 180fr at work tomorrow

  6. #6tkoden2016-05-31 00:15

    Yes, we have a Tag coupler and buckets.

  7. #7movindirt2016-05-31 20:56

    x2 looks like the outer links between the stick and the curl cylinder pin are in upside down and they are hitting on the main pin with the thumb, probably not allowing it to curl all the way. I'd switch those around and I'd bet you'll have more curl.

  8. #8tkoden2016-06-01 00:58

    Here are pictures of my machine. TAG coupler with high capacity tag buckets.

  9. #9s-moe2016-06-03 09:50

    Tkoden. It looks as though your curl is similar to mine. It does not curl on tight against the stick. I checked all the linkages and they have no curves in them so upside down is out. I am really surprised by the lack of curl on this excavator compared to my 53fr and every other excavator I have operated. It is awful for digging out of a 10 wheel dump body with 3/4 stone. The material spills out and I end up with 1/2-3/4 buckets. I like Takeuchi but this is a failure in my book.

  10. #10tkoden2016-06-03 10:05

    I would talk to TAG and have them make a custom bucket that curls up further and maybe since it's only for gravel they could increase the capacity a bit? Our 10 Wheeler has a HUGE box with 5' sides on it so we can't scoop out of it even if we wanted to.