Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi final drive oil

Bobcat stan ยท 2024-01-12 14:33

TB135 final drive oil went to do maintenance and one side looks good other side oils black and smells burnt so just wanted to check in and see what type of gear oil to use probably had someone else do maintenance last time and just put anything in it

Replies16
  1. #1PeterG2024-01-12 15:29

    Check your owners manual or the dealer. Are you talking about on each track side the Travel gear oil? All my Takeuchi machines (TB240, TB153FR, TL130, TB016) use Gear Oil: API-GL-4 SAE 90

  2. #2Nige2024-01-12 16:28

    On the side that smells burned there would be nothing wrong with lifting the track off the ground and add some diesel to the final drive in place of the oil. Then run the final for a few minutes with the track in the air and drain. Rinse and repeat until the diesel comes out clean. Then fill with the appropriate quantity of the recommended lubricant as specified by the manual. TBH in view of the fact that each final drive only contains 1 litre (approx. 1 quart) of oil personally I would suggest to go with a Synthetic 85W/140 gear oil rather than a basic GL-4 or GL-5 oil.

  3. #3heymccall2024-01-12 16:37

    Been a discussion at work here for years. It's weird when they both drain the same color. I've got 7 Takeuchi machines, 5 excavators and 2 CTL. 9 times outta 10, one final always drains darker than the other. CTLs, 90w every 300 hr service. Mini excavators, either 300 or 600 hours, depending on usage. Only final drive work on any of them was floating seals on a TB180FR @ 7k hours, due to external leaking. They all have between 6k and 11k hours now. Never felt the need to flush the dark side. Just start adding oil and then, after a little new comes out, put in the fill plug.

  4. #4PeterG2024-01-12 19:41

    My owners manuals tell me to do maintenance changing the gear oil after the first 250 hours, then every 1000 hours. Should I be changing the gear oil more frequently or checking it.?

  5. #5Nige2024-01-12 20:21

    For the cost of 1 litre of oil for each side you could change it every time you change the engine oil.

  6. #6PeterG2024-01-12 20:29

    Well, ok. Great advice. Thanks Nige I will check my maintenance logs on the machines and have a Gear oil changing Day!

  7. #7Nige2024-01-12 20:31

    All I am suggesting is that for a device that is quite highly stressed a few extra oil changes could be good insurance. Also if you do it at the same time as the engine oil it's less likely to be forgotten. My 2c. YMMV.

  8. #8heymccall2024-01-12 22:32

    I base it on how much I feel they have traveled (mini excavators). If it's just digging on site, I wait longer. If it's tramming everywhere (too lazy to get trailer), it gets swapped every oil change.

  9. #9Bobcat stan2024-01-14 10:23

    yes the travel motor and thank you greatly appreciated! I had the owner's manual downloaded on my phone and now won't let me open it unless I download another app. which I won't I'm about done with all these tech. companies but that's a different foum

  10. #10heymccall2024-01-14 12:39

    Operator's manual attached

  11. #11Bobcat stan2024-01-14 13:40

    I was contemplating flushing it but i didn't want to spray break cleaner in it and didn't think about diesel or kero to rinse it. I just may do that today. since the main fuse blew last night as I was taking it out of the shop for a little test run. thanks

  12. #12BC Placer gold2024-01-14 14:28

    Flushing with diesel is my routine when changing out final drive oil. Our machines get walked a lot as lowbeds can get nowhere near the worksites. Last year in & out of two separate sites put 45km each on a 210 and a Deere 50D mini. Given this type of usage we keep a tight schedule on oil changes. Have been using Cat TO-4 50 for all finals. (Thanks, Nige!)

  13. #13Nige2024-01-14 14:31

    TO-4 has one major upside as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as Gear Oil.....

  14. #14BC Placer gold2024-01-14 14:44

    Right, lol! That is a pretty distinctive aroma

  15. #15TorontoGuy2024-02-02 23:57

    Which exact 90w brand you use ?

  16. #16heymccall2024-02-03 08:26

    There is no specific brand for us, on gear oil. Whatever is locally available.