Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi Gas cap vent – How to check?

PeterG ยท 2022-10-19 11:09

I have a Takeuchi TB153FR. It has a locking gas cap. Are the Takeuchi Locking gas caps vented? If they are vented, do they get clogged and if so, how do you clean them? Where is the vent, how does it work? Or is it just a good idea to replace them once in a while. I don't see any info on this in the service manual and don't see anything on the cap that looks like a vent?

Replies8
  1. #1heymccall2022-10-19 12:39

    I only have 8 Takeuchi with that cap. Never had a venting issue, and, I dont believe the cap is vented. Are you having a specific issue, or are you just curious?

  2. #2PeterG2022-10-19 12:59

    Curious about the cap, but having an issue. I do have four Takeuchi's, but only replace the cap if the rubber gasket is bad. The issue on the TB153fr is it started to stall. Sometimes at idle, but sometimes when operating. Machines runs great (1860 hours). So right up to when it stalls, no sputtering or any signs of problems. Power is good, engine is strong. Fuel is a couple of months old in it. I'm doing maintenance on all the machines right now. Just changed the oil and filter, fuel filter, cleaned out air filter, and cleaned water separator. Once stalled, turning the key again it does not always start right up. Give it some heat though, and it fires right up. It may run for quite awhile with no issue, or it may stall again within a few minutes. This just started, so still trying to see what is going on.

  3. #3Delmer2022-10-19 13:07

    Easy test if you suspect the tank isn't venting, open the cap immediately after it stalls, it will suck air in if it's not venting correctly. The tank will often have a vent valve, or vent hose, but no use checking for a vent if you haven't confirmed it sucking air when you take the cap off. If this is still an inline injection pump with a banjo bolt INSIDE the inlet, then that is the number one thing to check. If newer, I'd suspect electrical issues.

  4. #4heymccall2022-10-19 13:22

    The cap gasket is available separately. Only times to replace the cap is when the lock jams, it disassembles and you can't find all the pieces, or you misplace the whole thing. As for the issue at hand, if had to guess based on experience, is the elbow inlet here is partially plugged. If you search "3972" on this site, you'll run into plenty of times where I've posted that inlet being blocked, and adding an inline screen.

  5. #5PeterG2022-10-19 13:43

    Ok, I will check and see if there is a clog there. There was quite a lot of debris at the bottom of the separator. Thanks for your help. Regarding the other machines, is this worth checking once a year or when?

  6. #6heymccall2022-10-19 13:43

    Gasket (6-1) is called out here. And if the fill neck screen (7) is gone, then the inlet elbow is definitely suspect.

  7. #7PeterG2022-10-19 20:54

    Ok. Removed the water separator and blew it out with compressed air. Also removed the open close handle, and blew that out too. There was a bit of gunk right where you said. After the install I let it idle for 20 minutes and it did not stall out. Also ran it at a few different speeds including full on. No issues so far. Hopefully that did it. Many thanks!!! You are correct in that it does not have the strainer. Two of my machines do have the strainer, and two do not. In my haste to quickly fill, I usually take them out when filling the tank! Most of the time the machines are filled via the transfer tank in my work truck. I do have a fuel filter on the Fill Rite pump. It does not have the water separator filter thought. In other cased I fill fuel cans up at the service station and then it goes directly into the machine. Questions: 1. Use a fuel stabilizer? 2. Should I drain the fuel tank? Thanks again for all your help!

  8. #8heymccall2022-10-19 22:05

    I'd add a Napa 3972 inline strainer and go back to operating.