I've changed the long filter inside the tank on my TB016 digger with 1500 hrs. I didn't know the history so am replacing all filters. Problem with smaller filter accessed from underneath. Have remove the four bolts and the plate drops a few inches and I can see the filter. Have remove 4 collars (jubilee clips?), 2 at either end of the fat rubber hose connecting to pump. But no way can I free the hose; I need to remove the elbow under the pump held by 4 Allen type bolts but can only access two. Come on you experienced guys, give us a clue PLEASE
We had the same issues with our TD145. Ended up having to remove the hydraulic tank to do it. Hopefully someone else has better news for you.
Waaaah!. Not going there. With only 1500 hours on the machine I may just seal it all back up again. I might just cut off a bit of an 9mm Allen key to get at those hidden bolts. A couple of litres has drained out of the fat tube from the pump so I'm already confronted with the problem of purging the air from it when eventually I refill the system. I say eventually because I'm still working on a leak at the connector on the drain/return hose in the drive motor -- discussed in another post.
You need to break the rubber hose free. Then access to remove the filter will be simple.
Thank you for writing. Presumably you've done this or seen it done... I've removed the clips of course, tried with a stout reverse pick to free it (with WD40) but of course you can only get at one side. Next is to release on side of the strap on an oil filter removal tool, feed the strap over the hose, refit strap etc. Also have a clamp tool for removing oil filters coming tomorrow. Even if I free both ends of the hose I have no idea how much it covers the metal pipe -- even pushed up one end to the inside / armpit (??) of the elbow that may not be enough to free it. Who knows? Meanwhile I'm trying to drill a coupla holes up through the frame so I can get the 8mm Allen key in there -- slow work only using cordless drill. Takeuchi design engineers who clearly have never actually dirtied their hands should be given a prototype and told -- imagine X has happened and you need to replace M, you have T time to do it in. They don't have a cut off tap on the hydraulic oil tank for WHEN a hose fails. But maybe nobody does, and for good reason, but I'd like to know it. Thanks again for your interest.
I try proof-reading before posting, but always miss something. I don't know how to edit. Wrote an enquiry but no reply.
Looks like you should be able to reach in there and unscrew the strainer then move the elbow
"Looks"... yes, mebbe, but even if I could get slim grips on I doubt I could turn it: had to put the top one into a vice and THWACK grips with a club hammer, but thanks for your contribution -- and I will try it tomorrow; packed up for today.. Btw some good news-- I've made one hole and release one of the 'hidden' bolts. Mr Takeuchi fails mechanics yet again -- it would have been bleedin' obvious to put a coupla holes there.
Apparently our hydraulic strainer was on extremely tight and near impossible to undo especially in the tight space available. Tank removal ended up the easiest & quickest. I'm very disappointed in Takeuchi's engineering for serviceability. For example to access the travel speed relay first the cab has to come off. That's the easy part. Oh and this work is being done by a retired but very experienced mechanic.
If the flexible hose seems to be unable to remove, I'd purchase a new one and cut the old one off. Once cut it 2, you'd be able to remove and replace the filter, and have an easier time removing the old hose.
Actually it's not a design flaw, it's a mini excavator problem that all suffer from, that is, any mini ex is 10 lbs of crap crammed into a 5 lb sack, for that reason everything is in a tight spot. I'd rather work on a 200 or 300 class excavator than a min ex.
You couldn't pull it from inside? Or unbolt and tilt the tank?
Yes, thanks for that. It was going to be an option -- mulling over how to cut it out. At its age (born 2008) it could probably do with having a new one. But one thing stopping me from going there immediately-- damn cussedness. Another thing was the problems I've had in ordering the thin (8mm) line & fitting from drive motor -- which after several weeks is still not resolved (about to order from Heads Motor Japan). Thanks again.
Thanks. I've removed 12 from inside but 11 is a) in a separate compartment in the tank. But glad you reminded me of the diagram because I see those two O rings 18. When I removed 2, I was shocked not to see a gasket. So am about to add two rings to my order from Japan!! Thanks to you.
Thanks for that. I see vids of guys working under big machines and think 'Hmm, that looks comfortable'. On the other hand a bantam-weight Chinese thing, you could probably flick over and work on it upside down -- it, not you.
Reminds me of repair manual for a long-forgotten car I once had. I've forgotten EVERYTHING about car and book, except this one phrase that occurred on every page: First, remove the petrol tank. " I'm very disappointed in Takeuchi's engineering for serviceability." Well there's a phrase that needs immortalising. But this is all new to me so I don't know if stupidity is unique to Mr Tak. I assume not, but your very experience mec's opinion would be gold. I did a lot of research before settling on the TB016 and before getting this particular TB016. Nowhere did I read about ease/difficulty of repair. Thanks.
I'd bet you could get suitable replacement flexible hose from Napa, or any other automotive or heavy equipment shop.
Do NAPA even exist in France.?
To you & Mark. Never 'eard of 'em. Looks 'em up...They turn out to be my local auto shop!!
Thank you. I have to phone my local shop (which I've just discovered are Napa!) to find out why there is no flow direction arrow on a fuel filter I bought Friday. My old one had the arrow going in the direction of the top of the writing. So have taken that as a clue. And I've not added that to my order for O-rings from Japan. Thanks for heads up.
You might want to do a little research on that inline fuel filter. A lot of those paper media inline filters are designed for gasoline/petrol, they're not made for diesel. That's not to say that one isn't, just saying make sure it is.
Had a go but no good. Well, it's now out. Holes drilled, Allen key turned with two box Spaniards. Hoorah, and no thanks to Takeuchi-san's engineers. Can't figure out where to put pics... Yikes! It was sold to me as a replacement for the original. Interestingly the "full" filter kit doesn't include this. But I will do as you suggest. There is a metallic filter made for a container that I can't find a place for. HIFI SN 21581 that's marked in three languages: Filtre à gasoil --Fuel filter -- Kraftstoff filter. Only the French specifies diesel. Can't load a photo: there's a limit of four, and that appears to mean per conversation / thread, not per entry. Will have to start yet another thread... Thanks again!
The photo limit is four per post, not 4 in total per thread. You don’t have to start a new thread. Be very careful with that small inline filter. A lot of them are only designed for lawnmower-style petrol engines and fall apart internally if exposed to diesel. The one on your machine could have been added by a previous owner as an afterthought.
Research done. Went back to shop, the guy could only say it's for 'carburant which just means fuel. One online shop specifies 'essence' - i.e. petrol/gas... So on behalf of me and my machine A BIG THANK YOU. It seems you've saved us from DISASTER... So someone removed the water separator?? I appear to be up sh*t creek. I think my machine had an inline filter in place of a water separator -- which it's missing. Would the metal filter I couldn't find a home for go in there? I found a pic of the same engine with the water separator and also find it in the diagram. Spent 1/2 hr trying to upload internet pic of an engine with 'water separator' without success (I can see it in my screenshot gallery but not when I come to insert it from screenshot!$$%#@!) but it is where my inline filter is. Would the circled filter in the set of 7 that I can't find a home for go into a water separator? I'll upload this then try to upload more in a reply to this my email. Thanks again for you great advice!!!
Ask your NAPA shop for a 3972 fuel screen. If you want any references simply search for “3972” here on HEF. It is quite common, hopefully you can find one.
Separator goes to X". Since diesel now contains little to no sulfur, neither the original separator or a 3972 inline screen will stop (or trap) water, as it now remains suspended (emulsified) in the fuel itself. When sulfur was present in diesel, the water would fall out of suspension and the original water separator was somewhat effective.
If there is a shutoff lever on the circled device, that is the water separator. There is no shutoff on the fuel filter (W in drawing).
Not sure what you bought, but...
Dad gummit Nige, ya beat me to it! Wix 33972 (Napa 3972) is what I use on all small diesel engines. You just need to prevent heavy debris from going through the lift pump, after that the fuel filter element will take care of the fine stuff before it gets to the injection pump. 33972 is for 5/16" fuel hose, if you have 1/4" fuel hose use 33971 (Napa 3971).
While I use the 3972 a lot, I've started buying the 600248 from napa. It is barbed for both 1/4" & 5/16".
Many thanks! Just looked it up, and it specifies 'for gasoline or diesel'. Brilliant. But does that obviate the need for the water separator doo-dah I wonder. Have seen that there's another comment so maybe there's an answer there. Would save me ¥11,000 / $75, etc. Still wonder why the guy would remove the thing. Thanks again.
Well thank you. More decisions!
See HMC's earlier reply, quoted below.......
Thanks for extra details!
Here's a better pic showing the lever, and hopefully, an internet pic of same vintage machine with a similar object where my inline is, also with lever. The top filter (smallest, metal) in the pic further up of all 7 "full set" is one I haven't yet installed cos I nowhere to install it. I've put the orange, fuel filter inside what I assumed to be the appropriate housing... Now internet pic below showing two similar objects both with levers, one where my inline filter is. From what you/others have said, with the improvement in diesel does that mean I just have to get the proper inline filter illustrated above? Well that's obviously not an internet pic of my model. The pic is actually there on screenshots but not showing when I try to load. Plan Z: taken a screenshot of screenshot album hoping relevant pic may be big enough to see... nope took a screenshot of the screenshot and that is that. Phew, thanks for everyone's time, patience, experience thus far.
That filter you show in the left of your pic is typically the primary mesh strainer, sometimes might have a media filter, and most of those primary filter bowls have a red plastic ring at the bottom of the bowl that floats if water gets in the fuel giving a visual indicator of water.
Thank you. I wasnt notified of this but called by just in case. That seems to confirm what I thought. So can anyone say should I get the full assembly to house the metal filter "primary mesh strainer" or -- thanks to the improved diesel I'm told we have now -- do I remove the new petrol/gas filter I've put in, and just stick with the correct inline filter that people have recommended above? Many thanks.
You'll be fine using an inline mesh strainer, just make sure you're using clean fuel, and hat tip, always keep your fuel tank full, this reduces the amount of condensation inside the tank. Also check and see if your fuel tank has a water drain valve on the bottom of it.
Great, thanks a lot for replying. Youve covered all the points I needed covering. I think I'm going to get the proper doo-dah. Just waiting for reply from Japan.