Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TB016 Starter Removal

PeterG ยท 2021-02-21 12:39

Help! I have a 2003 Takeuchi TB016 that I need to replace the Starting motor. I have the service manual and the parts manual but no instructions on how to remove. I have disconnected the wires and removed the bolts. There seems to be no easy way to get it out either through the bottom ( I have removed the drop panel), or the rear panel behind the seats. The header pipe cannot be removed. Anyone have direct experience with this on this model machine? Should I order an OEM one, or have it rebuilt? We have a pretty good local business that does rebuilding. Starter says Hitachi on it. Just can't seem to slide it out somehow. What needs to be removed?

Replies2
  1. #1RPF2072021-02-25 14:12

    Would removing the engine mount bolts and trying to push the engine towards the rear gain you any room? I have a hitachi 35 with a similar engine set up and once the bolts are out I have room to move the engine a bit. Although I have enough room to remove the starter anyways.

  2. #2PeterG2021-02-25 20:07

    I did manage to get it out. In the end I had to remove a metal hydraulic line cap, removing four bolts. Then it came out easily. I was just hoping I was missing a more easier method. I took it to a local shop that rebuilt it for $65.00 here in Kent WA. I will install it on Saturday.