Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TB125 starting problem

MDdigger21 ยท 2014-04-05 09:43

I have a 1999 TB125 with a starting problem. When you turn the ignition key to the on position after about 2 or 3 seconds it starts with out turning to the start position. This problem started about 3 months ago and I just let it go because it didn't seem like there was any other issue. By that I mean it didn't sound like the starter was constantly ingauged or any other noises and it ran fine. Yesterday after PM'ing the machine I could smell an electrical burning smell afterstartg and running/itleling for a little while. After investigating I found the odor coming from the starter/silinoide and it was hot to touch. After explainig this to the Takeuchi dealer/repair shop they advised I needed a new starter and should replace the ignition switch at the same time. I replaced both and the problem still exists, but now when it starts I can hear the starter staying engauges, so, of course I shut it down emediately and tried this a few times. I asked the shop if there was anything between the ignition switch and the starter that could be causing the problem. They said there was nothing. There has to be something, there is a delay between turning the key to the on position and the machine starting. Can anyone help with this issue?:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

Replies7
  1. #1mikebramel2014-04-05 12:58

    Disconnect the battery, Disconnect the power to the grid heater and the fuel solenoid, connect battery and try again

  2. #2Delmer2014-04-05 13:45

    For whatever reason, I'm smelling a bad ground strap.

  3. #3MDdigger212014-04-06 03:42

    REPLY, with a question. I'm not sure what you mean by "grid Heater" or where it is located and I beleive the fuel solenoid is just above the battery in the battery compartmment. Is that correct?

  4. #4MDdigger212014-04-06 03:45

    Delmer, thanks, I will check for the ground strap.

  5. #5mikebramel2014-04-06 11:27

    After the air filter on the intake, or it may have glow plugs. But it sounds as if there is a bad ground and it is backfeeding through the starter solenoid. It does not make sense that it would crank as that would require the most amperage flow but things can be strange

  6. #6MDdigger212014-04-08 14:53

    I checked and cleaned up the main ground strap from the engine to the frame of the machine, checked and cleaned the neg battery cable connected to the frame and there was only one other ground connection to the frame with smaller gauge wire that I found, I checked and cleaned that. They all looked ok but I cleaned them up anyway. I could not find any frayed wiring. It still starts up when the key is turned to the on position without turning it to the start position. I put a switch inline on the power to the starter solenoid so now I can start the machine and disengage the starter after the machine starts. I thinking there may be a bad relay or something. There has to be some type of brain. Something that tells the machine to stop sending power to the starter. Does anyone have any other suggestions? :usa:Banghead:usa:Banghead:usa

  7. #7Delmer2014-04-08 17:28

    Did you try disconnecting grid heater or glow plugs? Otherwise, you've got a good start with a disconnect in the solenoid wire. Now disconnect the start wire from the ignition switch, and then start pulling other fuses, wires, relays until you find where the voltage to the start wire is coming from. A wiring diagram might be helpful, or it might confuse you more.