Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TB135 start problems – Air Heater

PeterG ยท 2015-11-04 17:53

Having some problems with the machine starting. Starts fast and fine when warm and runs fine. To start it when its cold it likes to have the glow plug light key turned left for the maximum time the light is on, plus another 15 seconds even when the outside temperature is 50 degrees out. Since the engine has no glow plugs, it seems like I should replace the Air Heater. THis is what Takeuchi USA suggested. Anyone familiar with this and the install. I have ordered the part Y129100-77501

Replies8
  1. #1Billdog3502015-11-05 07:56

    I have a TB125, not sure if our motors are similar. Mine only has an air heater, no glow plugs. Additionally, mine is one of the strangest (in a good way) diesels i have ever seen. I can turn the key down to even 30 deg when the motor is stone cold and it fires up literally like a gas motor. EVERY time! I don't understand it...not sure if anyone else has seen this with Takeuchi/Yanmar before. All of the Kubota's I have ever used always need glow plugs to start. Assuming your machine SHOULD be like mine, you might have compression or injector pump issues? Maybe timing?

  2. #2bmckenzie2015-11-05 10:22

    should not need the air heater at 50, check your compression. my tb135 starts with no heat instantly at 35 degrees

  3. #3mikebramel2015-11-05 21:32

    Yanmar's are the best cold starters. I don't think it is your grid heater. As said, you would be better off checking compression, if that checks out OK, look at the fuel system

  4. #4PeterG2015-11-06 11:00

    Thanks for the replies. I have two other Takeuchi's, a TL130 skidsteer, and a TB016 mini excavator and they all start a bit different. The TB135 has 3000 hours on it, but runs well. I went ahead and ordered the part which was only $113.00 and I will check the fuel system, but as I said it runs well once warmed up, and doesn't smoke. I plan to install the part early next week, so we will soon find out if it was a waste of money. Have any of you ever installed the grid heater before?

  5. #5L5bwt2016-09-08 07:09

    Got the same problem Hi I have the same problem I know this thread was last year just wondered how u solved the problem in the end cheers

  6. #6PeterG2016-09-08 10:46

    The problem was damage to the engine via a poor air-filter cover clips, which when the machine was purchased used was not in good shape. The cover got loose, and dust got into the engine causing blowby. The new air heater did not work much. I could still get the engine to start with cycling the heater a couple of times. I could not find a replacement engine for cheap ($15,000), or someone who wanted to rebuild the motor. Takeuchi Dealer, and Takeuchi USA were not much help. I ended up dumping the machine for $13,500 which was a real blow. I purchased a new machine, a takeuchi TB240 which seems to be a significant up grade on it's lifting capacity and balance. The 240's extra weight and width, and bigger engine is really nice. So now my feeling is watch those air filter caps, and if the housing has any damage, replace it at once! Let me know what you end up doing. How many hours on the engine? [email protected]

  7. #7lantraxco2016-09-08 12:01

    In my experience Japanese diesels will typically start in temps well below freezing with no preheat if you need them to. If there's no other symptoms but failure to start when cold in temps above freezing, you're normally looking at a dusted engine, as PeterG experienced. It is possible bad fuel, or damage to fuel system components from bad fuel could cause this also though.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2016-09-08 15:52

    Start w/ a compression test.. easiest and less expensive than anything else.. other than fuel filters. IF you have 300 or better psi.. proceed. As long as the injectors are out.. turn them upside down and reconnect and while standing FAR AWAY as possible, crank the engine to see if you have enough pressure output from the inj. pump to open the injectors.. The import engines are good engines as long as the fuel, air and oil is clean.. at all times..