Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi tb228 hydraulic leak. Does this unscrew I’ve circled in the picture?

BAMABOY · 2026-07-07 01:26

I have a Takeuchi TB228 that has just started leaking hydraulic fluid. I have found the location of the leak but not sure what could be leaking in this spot? I assume there’s maybe an O rings inside what I guess is called a valve body? Anyone familiar with how these work? In the picture I have taken off the fitting and was wondering if the area I have circled unscrews? Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-07-07 10:24

    I think some better cleaning would be in order, before determining exact leak location. A dye test will help but a big part of fixing a hydraulic leak, is determining exactly where it’s coming from. Many mistakes have been made by many people over the years of where a hydraulic leak is, myself included. Yes there should be an o-ring under that valve and it’s probably threaded with a boss type o-ring.

  2. #2Coaldust2026-07-07 14:51

    I can’t see anything, Bamaboy. I bet it’s a hose leaking. I’d clean it up before doing anything else. Or, you will create a new problem.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2026-07-08 10:26

    The hose in the bottom view of the pictured valve looks to be a Synflex. They will leak at the crimp and be a pain to pinpoint.

  4. #4BAMABOY2026-07-08 19:37

    Thanks for your replies. I unscrewed it without any problems. It only had one o ring and unfortunately it looks to be in good shape and not cracked or deformed at all. I was hoping I would find a bad o ring in this location. So now this tells me it’s the part underneath this piece. I have no idea what it’s called but it has 2 small Allen head bolts holding it on. The piece I removed was hollow and one o ring past the threads. In this picture I removed 14 from 5 and 5 is the part I unscrewed with the o ring on it. I’m adding a link to a video showing the leak maybe you can open it and see what it looks like. Thanks for the help Click here for video

  5. #5HarleyHappy2026-07-09 09:09

    That’s one hell of a leak! It looks to be underneath that valve. It looks like it may be coming from the spool cap. There will be 2 Allen cap screws holding that cap on and it does have a recessed o-ring underneath that cap. It could be a cracked cap or loose or a bad o-ring.

  6. #6BAMABOY2026-07-09 21:27

    So I can just remove the 2 Allen heads and the part will come off nothing else to do? Also are these o rings just regular type or they specific?

  7. #7heymccall2026-07-09 22:50

    5 and 14 that you removed go into the T2 port on this diagram. The P3 port is from pump 3.

  8. #8BAMABOY2026-07-10 04:55

    Ok thanks a lot..