Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL 140 safety relay

Chris Lewis · 2023-02-28 14:33

Can someone tell me how to rest the safety relay, as soon as I turn key I pop lever lock fuse I can unplug green wire on the safety relay and it will not pop fuse but it will not start either I can plug it in and it will start but pops fuse I can unplug proximity switch with safety relay plugged in and it will not pop fuse till you put safety/lap bar down.

Replies19
  1. #1PeterG2023-02-28 15:52

    Lot's of talk about this issue on this site, search TL130 lap belt, safety replay. In general, the connection in the relay is bad, which if opened up can be re-soldered. I opted to just replace one of the relays and it solved my issue on my Tl130. Once you have a new one, you can try it in either location (The TL130 has two safety relays on the front kickboard area). Not sure if your issue is a bad safety relay, but safety relays going bad seems to be the norm

  2. #2Chris Lewis2023-02-28 21:42

    Replaced relay, lever lock relay and lever lock solenoid I can’t find in service manual where it talks about safety relay and it’s $450 ouch!

  3. #3heymccall2023-02-28 23:28

    Confused...if the proximity switch is disconnected, doesn't that mean that the lap bar position is now considered up, regardless of its position? Please clarify.

  4. #4Chris Lewis2023-03-01 15:57

    If I disconnect proximity switch it will not blow fuse if I plug it in either up or down with proximity switch plugged in and bar up it is good with bar down it blows fuse I’m assuming it is a short on the green/white or red/black wire but I can seem to find it.

  5. #5heymccall2023-03-01 16:59

    The RB wire only goes to one relay. That's it. Assuming a TL140 wiring diagram is the same. Can you test the wire, or make temporary bypass wire?

  6. #6heymccall2023-03-01 17:06

    The relay with a "SW" on it, in position "C", not the one in position "F". And, green wire on "safety relay"? What happens if you undo the White wire from the SW relay?

  7. #7Chris Lewis2023-03-01 18:05

    If I remove plug with green/white and white and black on F it does not blow fuse Not sure I know what you mean about green wire on safety relay ( I don’t see that relay) Also on F relay if I plug the 3 wire harness in and unplug the 4 wire harness red/black black/brown dots. White/blue Blue/black it will not blow fuse Sore electrical is not my strong suit

  8. #8Chris Lewis2023-03-01 18:13

    Could I have blown C and F relay Was having problems with it bowing fuse so I bought C and F relays and replaced did not fix problem so I started looking for a bad wire the only one I found was the GW green/white wire melted on exhaust repaired and was hoping it fixed problem but it didn’t I have swapped B and C and E and F but still have the issue

  9. #9heymccall2023-03-01 18:57

    I dont think it'll be a relay, unless you were probing with 12v. Try unplugging the lever lock solenoid.

  10. #10Chris Lewis2023-03-01 20:05

    I have tried that and it still blows fuse I even replaced , I’m at a lose

  11. #11Chris Lewis2023-03-01 20:10

    There is a white plug in this area if I unplug it it does not blow the fuse but then it will not start

  12. #12Chris Lewis2023-03-02 16:41

    Don’t the red/black and green/white go to lever lock relay and lever sw relay then to the lever lock solenoid and arm float relay

  13. #13heymccall2023-03-02 16:55

    The white plug in your circle above...can you see if it goes to that large control valve? If it does, that's the float solenoid.

  14. #14Toddgarage2023-03-02 17:43

    This brings back memories. Had a TL140 with this same issue. Used to kick the panel and work the poor machine hard the rest of the day. However; I remember doing relays and checking fuses and doing all that. Eventually discovered the battery terminals were loose. That helped significantly reduce the frequency of safety relay issues.

  15. #15Chris Lewis2023-03-02 17:43

    No goes into main harness down by motor mount

  16. #16Chris Lewis2023-03-02 17:46

    I will check battery cables

  17. #17Chris Lewis2023-03-09 09:28

    Not battery cables

  18. #18Chris Lewis2023-03-25 23:23

    Update replaced service proportional controller and she is back up and running only problem is I shorted the stop solenoid so waiting on new one , got a jumper wire on it for now.

  19. #19Daniel Fennig2024-03-06 10:13

    Hello, I am having the same problem right now but it pops fuses intermittently while running the aux hydraulics, i would greatly appreciate some guidance as i am stuck on a job right now, if you could call me at 260two 0 two nine 0 five five when ever you have a few minutes that would be great, thanks, Daniel