Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL130 Repowered with a 2.2L Izuzu 223c motor – Not moving well

Junkyard Josh ยท 2022-01-26 10:44

Hi All, I recently bought a Takeuchi TL130. I knew about this problem when I bought it. The engine has to be throttled up very high in order for the machine to have enough power to move around. If I don't throttle it up the machine dies. Even if it's throttled up and I try and move around too fast the machine dies. It doesn't need to be throttled up high for the boom to move up and down. The guy I bought it from says he thinks the brakes are stuck on. How do I figure out if it's the brakes dragging? Some people on Facebook say it could possibly be the AUX hydraulics are stuck on. I'm not sure how to turn them off or on, is it a pedal or in the hand controls? I messed around with the pedals but they don't seem to move (could be clogged with dirt haven't been inspected yet). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Please let me know! Thanks Here is a video of the guy I bought it from loading it on the trailer. Skip to about 5:00 to see how its running and how it dies if you move too fast.

Replies8
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2022-01-26 11:19

    Does the engine lug down when you drop the bar? That's usually an easy indicator that the AUX is stuck on. Don't know with that era of Taki, but the one that screwed me early on had the Aux as a foot button that was buried in a couple inches of mud and stuck on. Get the cab floor dug out and clean and see what you find.

  2. #2Tones2022-01-26 16:25

    If you look at your video you can see the machine free wheel then stop with a dead engine. That indicates the brakes are working as they should. The previous owner seemed to be as rough as guts, an indication was missing aircleaner . Check everything on the engine like filters, fuel flow compression test etc to ensure it making the required power before you touch the hydraulics.

  3. #3Junkyard Josh2022-01-26 21:15

    What if the brakes are dragging slightly causing resistance but not enough to not allow the machine to move. Yes rough as guts is a very good way to describe the former owner. In all fairness, he did say he's not a mechanic and he learned by fixing things that broke down in the bush. He actually brought out the missing air cleaner you mention as we were leaving.. I'm not exactly sure why it was off. With the two heats it had no trouble starting in the cold and didn't need any quick start juice. Yes, I plan on going through the engine and seeing if anything seems off. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to turn the aux hydraulics off/on easily as well.

  4. #4Junkyard Josh2022-01-26 21:18

    I didn't notice the engine lug down when I dropped the bar but that doesn't mean it didn't change a bit. It seems there are 3 foot pedals on this machine, my friend and I tried pressing them in separate instances and both of us noticed they didn't move. I would guess mud and ice. I will check that out tomorrow.

  5. #5heymccall2022-01-26 21:22

    Two "pedals" are foot rests. The far right one is for auxiliary hydraulic controls. If it doesn't move, start looking there for your problem. Arrow points to where the auxiliary pedal is located. The number 11's are just foot rests.

  6. #6heymccall2022-01-26 21:24

    Auxiliary hydraulic pedal

  7. #7Junkyard Josh2022-02-01 09:46

    Thank for this. So the pedal actually moves back and forth without a problem. I haven't ran the skid steer to see if I could turn off the aux hydraulics but I will give it a shot today as it's suppose to be 0c outside!

  8. #8crane operator2022-02-01 14:23

    I'm wondering if your "repower" guy has messed up here. From what I've seen on the internet- a 2.2l isuzu is only around 50hp/105ft.lbs of torque. The original engine in a tl130 would have been a yanmar at 67hp and 181 ft/lbs torque. In your video, it will kind of drive around the yard, but when you went to load it up the trailer it more or less "stalls" out. I think the hp/ torque demands from the hydraulic drive systems may be to much for the engine they have installed in it. Do you know if this has ever worked right since they installed the motor? What did the 2.2l isuzu come out of? I'm wondering what its got for a governor set up on it. I may be all wrong, but it looks like they may have made a poor choice on the repower powerplant.