I bought this machine recently, have poured over the manuals, to the best of my dyslexic ability.... but haven't been able to find anything about these senders. My searches through this forum have learned me that the top one is checking radiator fluid level and shares a warning light with the oil sender. It seems to be receiving about 2 volts. Is that all correct? The second sender is above the thermostat and the 3rd is below. Both are receiving 6 volts. A mechanic I spoke to told me if I grounded out the senders the temp gauge would react. Nothing happened from that test. I wonder if I grounded both the higher and lower at the same time? I don't want to replace parts without testing for broken unless someone with experience tells me that is how it is done. It is really never done that way by people who know better is it? At this point have not been able to find specific parts like these anywhere but through the dealer. I bought 4 O-Rings from the dealer for the pilot valve for 70 bucks. Does that sound excessive? I thought so. The 70 dollar O-rings have me looking at the dealer as the absolute last resort. Perhaps I am having an unreasonable once bitten twice shy response. I cant use it in good faith without being able to watch the temp. I CAN use it in bad faith though. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
This should be in the track loader section
Water level sensor wire (blue w/yellow) is ground when water level is good. Connect jumper from harness to ground to rule that out. Water over temp sensor wire (yellow w/black) is grounded only when overheated. Leave disconnected to test. Temperature gauge wire (yellow w/red). To test, disconnect and gauge should go to one extreme. Ground wire and the gauge should swing to other extreme. The water level sensor and overheat sensor in no way affect the temperature gauge. Just test the yellow w/red as stated above.
As for pricing, almost everything Takeuchi pricing is reasonable, and typically less expensive than, most of the equivalent parts on my other machines (Cat, Deere, Komatsu, Case, Yanmar). Just pilot valve seals are high.
No way! That's good news about my lucky first purchase... if I get no response from the temp gauge even if I jump up and down on it, does that mean the problem is the sender or the gauge? The tests showed all is well with the other 2.
I have that same instrument panel in 9 Takeuchis, some with 11k hours. Never had a fuel gauge fail. I'd bet on a rubbed through wire somewhere. If you've never had the pleasure of changing an ignition switch, you won't know how cramped the wiring is under that console.
Well, I have been in there a few times already. When I did the pilot I took it all apart and back together about 3 times. Mostly because I am curious stupid and learning by being curious stupid. I would even take credit for breaking it myself if I didn't already know it was not working when I got it. Maybe I double broke it. Actually, the gauge box looked much like the oil tank when I got it home. Every part of the machine did. There was greasy clay everywhere because the pilot had been leaking for years and the gauge cover was broken. I don't think any part of the gauge was functioning because of the mess. God, I forgot how bad this thing was 6 weeks ago. Anyone with any sense wouldn't have bought it the way it looked. It was more of a crap shoot than I realized at the time. I think I have gotten supremely lucky so far. ok, It sounds like a goose chase is on. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for but I am getting a little better at understanding the multimeter. So apart she will come. I just ordered two other gauges. Really just because I am going crazy with this thing and I want to know everything. It is probably way over the top but I got an Oil pressure gauge for the motor, oil temp for the hydraulic oil and an exhaust gas temp gauge for when I am racing it in the Baja. I bought another hours meter because the original isn't working either and it was on clearance for 4 bucks. The connection for the meter is broken at the circuit board and I couldn't fix it. I think I will try and wire it up with its own power source if I am going back in there. I hope it is 12 volts. If not perhaps it will do double time.
OK! I dug into the gauge cluster and checked power on the heat meter. It was all correct. I ran a wire from the gauge to the sender. Grounded the sender and low and behold, the gauge pinned to hot. I am going to run a new wire. Maybe someday I will trace that bad wire back to the gauge, but probably not! I'm gonna run me a green one! that (yellow w/red) wire will remain buried for some future civilization to discover. I am so psyched! Thank you Heymccall, you are my hero once again. I am getting pretty close to getting this thing where I want it. Just in time, I just got a giant pile of carpentry work dumped on my head this morning. My dysfunctional builder... gotta love him. Chapel Hill, North Carolina! Where the grass in NOT always greener on the other side and the Caroline Blue sky covers the whole damn planet.