Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL8 Kill Switch Question

Heavy Chevy ยท 2021-01-20 22:21

Does anyone know exactly what the Emergency Shut Down Switch on a TL8 is connected too...i.e., what I am really trying to find out is if that switch is connected to the fuel shut off? If that switch was in the off position as the picture below, would it still allow the engine to turn over but not start? switch is directly connected to the fuel shut off...if not, how does it shut the machine down?

Replies10
  1. #1heymccall2021-01-20 22:45

    Rephrase, or clarify, your question. Yes, the kill switch disables the fuel shutoff, via the ECM and relay feeds. So, yes, the machine will crank the engine, but not start.

  2. #2Heavy Chevy2021-01-21 04:23

    That is exactly what I needed to clarify! Thanks much!

  3. #3Heavy Chevy2021-01-21 09:51

    Heymccall, another question....during cold weather, what is the cold weather starting procedure? i.e., do you turn the ignition switch to on for a few seconds so to fire up the glow plugs...then start? Or is there something else that you should perform? As you can tell, I am not familiar with this machine yet.

  4. #4KSSS2021-01-21 10:17

    On my Taki excavators I have to turn the ignition switch the other direction to activate the glow plugs, a light comes on, on the dash while you hold it back the other way.

  5. #5Heavy Chevy2021-01-21 11:22

    I will check that out and see which direction causes the light to come on. thx

  6. #6jturnage252021-02-09 14:04

    If your TL8 is turning over and not starting and that switch is good. You need to look at your fuel supply going to the engine. You have a SCV, suction control valve on the back of the injector pump. If you unplug it will go to full flow and should start. If not, you need someone to hook Diagmaster and check actual and target rail pressure.

  7. #7Heavy Chevy2021-02-09 20:58

    Hadn't thought about the SCV...I pulled the fuel rail plug today and checked for debris....plug was little black on the end ..cleaned it off with brake clean as well as sprayed it up into the fuel rail and let drain back.

  8. #8jturnage252021-02-10 08:10

    Email me and I can send you some info [email protected]

  9. #9Heavy Chevy2021-02-13 19:37

    I will do that. I just pulled the dpf apart and it is clogged with oil. I'm gonna send it out and hope that it can be cleaned. There is no way it could run with all that oil. Mailed off the turbo today as that was pushing oil everywhere it appears....

  10. #10Heavy Chevy2021-02-19 11:49

    I just got some bad news ....sent my doc and dpf off to be cleaned and both my dpf and doc are too clogged up to be cleaned....I guess that is why it wouldn't start...too choked up! Now I need the best and least expensive solution.