Well my super sent me this pic this afternoon from a small job where we're undercutting 4-6' of unsuitable soil and hauling in engineered fill. This was one of the tri-axles hauling the fill in. Had it put out quickly - always have fire extinguishers on your trucks and equipment. Appears the alternator crapped itself and somehow started the fire.
Thanks for the pic. You got to wonder why alternator pulley is sitting at such a strange angle. You would think that if the rear bearing disintegrated that the truck driver would have heard something.
It should have locked up and smoked the belt, although it did throw it.
I had an incident this morning with my pickup. I dropped kids off at my Dad's, stopped back at my house, and could smell something burning. Popped the hood and saw smoke from down low. Crawled underneath and found a piece of corn stalk jammed in between the heat shield and catylitic converter. I don't think it would have caused much damage, but I sure freaked out when i smelled the smoke.
That right there is one expensive load of fill....least the whole thing didn't go up
Hey kid, you try buffing that out for the guy?
Damn we put it out - what more does a man want???
You never meet a truck driver? There are 3 kinds The good the bad and the ugly.
Are you talking the load in the truck or the one in his britches?
A truck driver, only this one was successful.
Learned how important a fire extinguisher was when my hoe caught fire last year. Could have easily burnt down the whole machine instead of just the batteries and insulation on a few wires if I didn't have one on the machine. Went and bought 2 more right after that. Although from the looks of the picture, some wires got it pretty good. If the fire got into the wiring harness, I think i'd rather see the thing burn to the ground. Take forever to get it fixed, and the chance it's fixed properly and never have electrical issues is slim.
Last year i wanted fire extinguishers put in every piece of equipment my boss had. Didnt happen so i went out and bought one and put it in the truck i drive so that i would atleast have one. My boss caught that truck on fire and put it out with my extinguisher. Still dont have them in every machine.
Nice boss.
Talking extinguishers getting used and not replaced. This reminded me of an incident a few moths back in front of my house. I might have already posted it somewhere here. Anywho saw traffic going slow and heard some talking so I started down the drive to see what was up. Got about half way there and noticed some smoke and fire dripping from the right front of a Subaru. Turned around and grabbed a fire extinguisher from garage. Checked the gauge and it was in the green zone so I went back down and when one of the guys there saw it he took it and proceeded to put out the fire. Turns out an oil line from the transmission had sprung a leak and was dripping on the exhaust pipe. The guy who was riding in the car said thanks for the extinguisher and said he would replace it. I told him he might want to take it to a shop that refills them as it was not a throwaway type. Well it's been a few months and so far no extinguisher has shown up and in the rush that day I did not think to get names or license number so I'm out an extinguisher! Some people!!! There is a bit of a silver lining to the story because a few months before I retired the company was replacing the older extinguishers and the one I handed him was one from that batch so really did not cost me a cent! But still!
Christine-Cars that catch fire-the lights go on and off, the horn honks, engines sometimes start on their own, windows can go down then up.