I am currently running wheel loader and to be honest am sick of the poor equipment and lack of maintenance as the loaders are usually run to death, an early one too the way it's maintained. Anyhow off subject, I am interested in learning to run a motor grader and have talked with the company job boss and he said they always need grader operators and that if I screw with one for a day or so I stand a good chance of getting on the road crew operating. My question is this, when I call the road crew boss is there any good way to bring this up? I haven't been with the company very long but as far as I know I have very good standing and I know I have a good work attitude (whatever it takes, doing other jobs like plant maintenance, changing screens etc etc). Any tips on what to say or not to say? I know this has been worded a bit odd, but I am too so there ya go!
just let them know the loader just is not challenging enough anymore. and yer ready for the next level. dont be intimedated by all the leavers. the 2 on the outside raise either side of the blade and just work yer way across. just rember 1 is for the rippers, 1 is for the artic, and one is for the turntable frame side shift. theise 3 you or at least I use the least. see if you can get time on a fill or haul roads. just take it slow. and good luck :usa
The arctic? Thanks for the clarification on the controls though as that helps alot. I got in the cab of a new grader last year and just stared at all the levers and just got intimidated. So then the levers are duplicated on either side? Makes sense I suppose, but I must ask are they linked in that you pull a lever to drop the right blade edge and one cylinder lifts while the other pulls?
sorry articulation. no they work independant of each other. seperate valves. one thing you could do if they have one is look at and read the operators book. their is some basic stuff in them that will help. and some ways to set up yerselff. i was 8 the first time i played on one . but only in the last 3 years have i spent sometime on one. being a hoe operator for 22 years i love running a grader almost as much. the more people that read this the more help youll get . that s what this forums for. so check back offten
Ok thanks for the clarification. I was at first puzzled by the separate valving but I took a closer look and saw how it's hinged...a little weird but I suppose it works just fine! The mechanic said we had at least one sitting at the shop so I might sneak away tomorrow and have a look at the manual.
Grader operating is an art around here. Not too many running around anymore. underground @ work we have a little 120. Manual trans too!! When I have to just move it I'm happy to make it. Not too much room for steering and using the rear articulation is needed to make turns. Like anything else, try on it and you will get the hang of it.
Well I talked with one of the higher ups today and he said he'd get with the blade boss and see about getting either one out to the pit I work at or getting me out to a new site to screw around a bit! I'll be getting back with him on Tuesday when I go back to work, so a bit nervous now!
Well after talking with the boss' a few times I find out that 1. they say they need no grader operators right now and 2. the company sucks (see #1). I can say I tried so at least there's that, but just the same the wheel loader is boring as snot on a wall. And they took my 966D while I was away and now I'm back in the new holland 170 POS.
Well, the only advice I can tell you is keep trying. Most of my time in a grader has been at school, or at the union training center. Ive been told by a 24 year veteran that I am capable, and should be in the seat of a grader full time. The trick is to find that seat. I paid for a school. The last 4 weeks focused on excavators, gradalls, and graders. Knowing that it would be rare to encounter a gradall anymore, and knowning getting time on a hoe wouldnt be hard, I spent as much time in that grader as possible. I started out as a punk, running a grade rod, or level and rule. Spent a lot of time on a roller, a lot on a scraper. Spent a good bit of time on a pushcat. Ive worked my way up to running hoe most of the time, and running finish dozer the rest of the time. Still trying to find a way into that grader seat full time. Any On The Job Training has been cleaning up haul roads, and helping work the cuts and fill areas with the scrapers. Anymore, grader jobs are far and few between. I worked at a company with 350 pieces of iron, 3 were early Cat G models, this was 2 years ago. In that company we had 2 full time grader operators. We had 1 that would fill in for the other two. We had 4 other guys that were grader operators that were kept around just in case. One of which had run grader for 8 years in the USMC. No lacking in skill there. Im young, a lot of people dont think a person my age is capable of running a grader to its full potential. The only way I got any time OTJ was by begging and taking any chance i could to get in one. A lot of the time i would eat my lunch in the cab of a grader smoothing out haul roads on the scraper spread. I would even stay after for a half hour on the grader. Oh which, that half hour usually ment an hour, by the time I fueled and greased not only my scraper, but the grader also. I did the same thing when it came to running a hoe. During lunch, i would ask the supervisor if i could make the next cut and pull box, that way when lunch was done, they were ready for another stick of pipe. If you really want in one full time, you gotta keep showing interest, and be willing to give up some of your time to show people that you mean business.
Thanks for the encouragement! Right now one of the big obstacles is that we don't get much our way, I've asked about going to the shop to get some seat time but the grader boss says there isn't anything to do out there.
Just because a loader is a pile, one should never say it is a boring job. I see it all too much that one thinks he has it "Mastered" and in all reality he aint worth #$%$. To be a production loader operator, or even cleaning up windrows on finish grade takes skill that is not earned overnight. I have driven and operated the junkest of junk many a time, As my boss would always tell the whiners, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT JUNK IS! Learn to be the best on the junk and never ever let the boss know anything he owns is junk, even if he already knows it. As far as being able to run the grader? We all would like to get more time on them, however, many times that just dont happen, and may never happen. We have always had "The blade guy" who is afraid of letting anyone else learn anything, fearing it may someday jeoprodize his position. Your best bet is to keep showing interest and take care of your equipment, no matter what it is. Good luck.
grader If I were a crew Boss and had an operator that continually complained about my equipment and ran it like he didn't respect it I certainly would not consider turning him loose in anything better. But what do I know.... :beatsme
I agree with you 100 per cent. I've run junk most of my life but aways took care of my machine and made the best of it. When I did recieve newer and better..man did I ever appreciate it. Taking pride and looking after what you have can and will lead to better equipment down the road. If I was a crew boss and had an operator that continually complained about my equipment and ran it like he didn't respect it? See ya later amigo :guns
Wow, seems to have taken a nasty turn here. I never said I didn't maintain the equipment. I do the regular grease, fuel and inspection. I'm saying the company doesn't take care of it that well.
One thing I have learned over the few years that I have been running equipment. I can find something wrong with any machine. I dont cry that its junk. I take care of it like its a brand new machine. I grease it daily. I clean the dirt off the floor. I clean the windows on a regular basis. If there is something wrong with it, I let the super know, and tell him what i think it is. If it something safety related I tell them. If its a broken air ride seat, that machine crawls around all day. If its a seat belt, I wont run it. Another thing I have learned A finish grader and dozer operator are never going to tell you a damn thing out on the job site. You might find a guy in a training center or school to teach a few tricks. The only way youre going to learn any tricks in the field by watching that finish operator. Watch what hes doing, Try to figure out what hes thinking, what hes setting himself up for. Pay attention, and learn
Sharky, The first time I seen Gene he was on an old Tarex painted the ugliest green I have ever seen. It had a 6/71 with no muffler. You could turn the wheel 1/2 turn before anything moved. The kid was about 4' tall at the time and sat on a pillow to see. He loaded trucks out of the dump when they sold pit run from there. 1982 or 83 if I remember right. I be leave he ran that loader for another 4 years and I never heard a peep out of him. always had a smile on his face unlike today. I could never get time on a grader ether so I bought my own.
Ah, pay tention yung grasshoppa:notworthy Sorry man, I was not trying to turn your thread upsidedown. Just a word of the wise. Grease, inspection and fueling is good, but also expected and part of your job with many outfits. Dont forget the front and rear driveline zerks either:Banghead Clean floors, windows and a polished cab will show an owner/boss that you respect the equipment. Even the old 988a we had got an Armorall wipedown at the shifts end or while waiting on a paybelt, trucks, etc.. Always be moving or doing something, even if it is housekeeping. Nothing worse than a lazy operator fiddling with an ipod or stereo while running filth. If/when you do get your chance, dont be afraid to ask questions on correct operating techniques. The more you can learn everyday now, is the more you will appreciate it later. Never stop learning, and ALWAYS try to better yourself. No matter what your doing.
Ah Curly...Don't take offence here as no one is trying to be nasty. Ovrszd was just commenting on Sharky's comments, and I was just commenting on the comments from ovrszd. Looking after and taking pride in our equipment is important to us that's all. Post away and don't feel insulted. Anything we can help you with just let us know
Ah ok. Regarding those driveline zerks. You talking about the one near the splines for the shaft to go in and out or is there another one? Oh, don't armor all the seat!
curly just continue to visit and let the boss know that you are the man ready to work and move upward, good help is hard to find and especially with a willing attitude
Many machines have a front and rear zerk also that is many times missed. In front of the articulation point, and also behind it. Ones you need to crawl in the mud to see if your not lucky enough to have dry ground (Always mud here) An owners manual will tell of all grease points. Dwan, as far as "Mean" Gene... A good boss, whom I learned alot from over the years, though if you made it through a whole day without getting barked at, you were doing good. Man, that was a Loooong 12 1/2 years:Banghead Didnt matter who you were, If you worked for him, your always on pins and needles. I am the guy who drove the lowboy for many years. Great outfit, and great people, just got used to it after a while. I would get yelled at for something I had nothing to do with, or was not even there many times. Life of a boss I guess. Still respect him and W.R. to this day. I think Gene just needed to get some tail.