Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tall brick building ideas?

lgammon ยท 2021-09-30 22:40

This building has structureral brick walls. I think 2 or 3 wide. It is about 25 feet tall with a very tight site. I can access all I need from the right or high side. I only have a 130 komatsu and a 953. I also will be doing some grading to the right side and have 30 or 40 loads of dirt to remove, that I can use to build a ramp. I'm a little worried about taking a brick wall in the lap. Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies19
  1. #1lgammon2021-09-30 22:41

    More pics

  2. #2CM19952021-09-30 23:12

    First thought out of the gate is your 130 is not enough hoe to handle that building, you need at least a 50-60K hoe for the reach at a minimum then the other problem becomes space to work in. What kind of distance from the building do you have to work with? A brick building like this will create a lot of debris that goes everywhere especially places you don't want it to go like the parking lot on the other side of the alley. How is the roof constructed? Wood, bar joists? This is a challenging demo, not impossible by any means but challenging none the less.

  3. #3lgammon2021-09-30 23:49

    I was toying with the idea of a demo pole on the loader . Covering the right side with dirt and pulling it down that way. A 50k ex would be great, but that is next to impossible to find to rent right now. Plus I always try to run what I got. The building still has tenants in it so I haven't been inside. It was built 1920 so I'm guessing wood sitting in notches in the brick.

  4. #4lgammon2021-10-01 00:10

    HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5lgammon2021-10-01 00:12

    Opps

  6. #6CM19952021-10-01 11:40

    i hear ya on the rental situation, next to nothing available. Not a bad idea with loader and pole, even a large I-beam would work. We've got several I-beams on the yard that would work just a drive to come get them. Are you calling the "right side" the side of the building facing the parking lot?

  7. #7lgammon2021-11-06 00:12

    Well tomarrow is the big day. I will try to get some better pictures. This is the ramp I built up the side

  8. #8lgammon2021-11-06 00:21

    Opps

  9. #9mudnducs2021-11-14 15:29

    Itll be a learning experience to see how you do this.

  10. #10Tones2021-11-14 17:33

    Get the excavator inside the building and pull everything inwards. Don't get greedy pulling the outer walls. I have seen them spin, one end coming in and the other going out. The higher you can get the ramp the better even if you have to make it steeper. I've worked on tighter sites than you have here and the big secret is to keep thinking, modify any ideas you may have at the start to suit the unexpected.

  11. #11CM19952021-11-14 18:27

    So how did it go??

  12. #12Shimmy12021-11-14 21:23

    Hopefully ok?

  13. #13lgammon2021-12-03 10:13

    Yes I'm good it went really well!

  14. #14gwhammy2021-12-29 07:24

    Glad it went good, you can do all the planning in the world but once you start it usually falls into place. I just started on an abandoned school near me. Always enjoyed demolition just got out of the commercial world till the town ask me to help them.

  15. #15gwhammy2022-01-25 20:28

    Took down the gym and seating area yesterday. Took a total of three hours to get the whole thing on the ground. Took out two walls then a support column made of brick that held the huge trusses up and the whole thing fell at once. Kind of wish I'd had someone there video it. Demolitions fun when it all goes right.

  16. #16lgammon2022-11-27 12:11

    Video update from last year, I just found these and thought you guys would like to see how I did it with a track loader.

  17. #17CM19952022-11-27 12:32

    Nice work. Do you have any pics of the beam attached to the '53 bucket?

  18. #18lgammon2022-11-27 12:40

    No, I just took a 6x12 heavy wall piece of box and cut it the inside width of the bucket and took 4 heavy chains and binders to each corner and cranked it down tight.

  19. #19lgammon2022-11-27 12:41

    Go to my utube channel for more videos