Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

tar like oil leaking from exhaust before the turbo

maszwec ยท 2016-03-04 22:04

Hello again fellas, I have an international DT 466, not sure of the year, but I'm guessing mid to late 80's. I just noticed today tar like oil dripping from the exhaust slip on joint before the turbo, Any ideas on what this could be??? I'll pick up a compression tester tomorrow and also check the first 2 injectors, what should the compression be or as long as they are all the same no worries???

Replies13
  1. #1Wes J2016-03-04 22:28

    How much oil does it use?

  2. #2maszwec2016-03-05 00:54

    doesn't use any oil and no white smoke coming from exhaust pipe, no oil in the radiator or water in the oil, I'm thinking either rings or an injector on one cylinder

  3. #3Delmer2016-03-05 10:11

    345psi 7% difference between cylinder, at least according to the net. I'm curious if it keeps dripping this stuff, and what the operating conditions are. If it's been idleing cold, and the injectors check out, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

  4. #4maszwec2016-03-05 10:41

    I just got this thing last fall and have been working on it as money trickles in. I've only had it running at idle and up to about 1000 rpm to grease the turret and flex the cylinders to look for problems. So no real strain on the motor. This is an old machine but looks plenty rugged for mining and your basic electrical and hydraulics, no electronic stuff to deal with, pretty straight forward, I like that.. I don't what to look for on the injectors, or if I can just blow them out with a compressor... I plan on googling that this morning...

  5. #5Delmer2016-03-05 10:51

    Take them to an injection shop to get tested, do them all if possible. They'll test the pop off pressure and the spray pattern. On the other hand, if the dripping goop is the only symptom, the blowby is fine, and it sounds normal, you could leave it alone. But if you pull the injectors get them tested.

  6. #6kshansen2016-03-05 11:01

    Agree if it is starting fine and sounds good I would not get too excited about the drips until I had a chance to work it and get it warmed up to real operating temps.

  7. #7maszwec2016-03-05 11:07

    I'm concerned about it catching fire.... The other thing to is it starts right up when it's cold. It sat for 2 months this winter and fired right up, I was impressed...Thanks guy's for the input... I know gas engines well but diesels are a new thing for me and really enjoy learning about them...

  8. #8oarwhat2016-03-05 20:10

    Time to run it hard!! It's not going to start on fire. Run it!!

  9. #9maszwec2016-03-05 23:19

    YESSSS...... now that's what I want to hear.... I'm gonna have the injectors checked out anyway, I have it down here in town so it's a lot easier to work on, when I bring it to the claim that's it so I want to get everything dialed in before it gets hauled up there. I don't anything about this engine, like the year, if it was rebuilt rebuild etc.

  10. #10maszwec2016-03-12 21:10

    update time. I pulled the injectors and had them pop tested. One of the nozzle caps had a crack in it. The mechanic cleaned up and adjusted the injectors, found another nozzle cap, 50 bux later I'm good to go. Appers that was the problem, it was gushing fuel into the cylinder. I fired it up to day and let it run for an hour and no drips...Now I need help with the hydraulics, any hydraulic specialists out there???

  11. #11Delmer2016-03-12 22:30

    Hydraulics psychics is our speciality, your accumulator is flat and you need a new flex compensator. You might want to start a new thread, since we don't know a thing about the machine anyway.

  12. #12maszwec2016-03-13 00:14

    Thanks Delmer...I'm all over it...

  13. #13kshansen2016-03-13 09:52

    Yes and along with model number don't forget the S/N might make a big difference when researching information. The more information you provide the better the advice!