Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tarping dumptruck ?

Jeff D. · 2007-04-06 00:15

I was wondering what laws there were in effect in different areas pertaining to tarping loads on dumptrucks. I'm gathering the laws must be more strict in other states than it is here. I do see loads tarped here, but not that often when it's local hauling.:beatsme Here's Mn. laws:

Replies23
  1. #1ctkiteboarding2007-04-06 00:45

    i heard new jersey mandates load covers with side skirts and gate skirts?? anyone from jersey? :beatsme

  2. #2Steve Frazier2007-04-06 10:23

    In NY, no part of the load may be higher than 6" below the lowest point of the dump body. The lowest point is usually the tailgate. Anything else requires a cover.

  3. #3Orchard Ex2007-04-06 16:10

    Hauling gravel, sand etc. here it's - No part of the load may be within 6" of the top of the sideboard or tailgate and must be tarped.

  4. #4Bob Horrell2007-04-06 23:27

    In California the highest point of the load must be 6 inches below the sideboards or tailgate - whichever is lowest. This is for aggregate, dirt etc. Any other material which may "float" must be tarped regardless of height.

  5. #5Countryboy2007-04-07 01:48

    I don't know about the law but the quarry requires all customers to tarp their loads. You don't tarp it, you don't get loaded the next time around. Believe me, they DO keep track. It helps to rule out contamination on the trip to the dump site. Some of the material we make is STRICTLY specced and must have no contamination what so ever. Even a leaf can ruin the whole stockpile. :nono

  6. #606bowtie_guy2007-04-07 20:09

    Can't say if there is a min hight from top of the box but I do know they go by size. If it's rock down to 1/4" or so no tarp is needed. Anything smaller needs tarp. Doesn't mean that always happens but the way it goes.

  7. #7Truckie2007-04-08 08:12

    Don’t know what the ruling is here for Pa other than scrap. I know scrap dose not need to be traped unless it is a light weight material and can blow around. As far as the sand and gravel trucks I see them piled up pretty high. The center of the load is usually almost even with the side board but the slop of the load is probably about 6 to 8 inches from the side boards. I would also have to say that 98% of the tri axels here have tarping systems on the truck and most of the trailers around here either have roll tarps or auto tarps.

  8. #8thejdman042007-04-08 08:57

    thats the law here (6" below top) but no one tarps around here, guys that do, their tarps are in such bad shape.

  9. #9mflah872007-04-17 08:17

    Well I live in the republic of Massachusetts, my drivers got a $500 ticket at 2 am on a saturday morning when we were hauling snow for no tarp.

  10. #10Steve Frazier2007-04-17 08:29

    Wow! I'll bet you were making short runs too? I got a ticket once for a load of blacktop, back in the early 80s we never covered asphalt. My boss went and argued with the Trooper, no more trucks were ticketed. I can't say I've ever seen asphalt blow around much!

  11. #11Dwan Hall2007-04-17 12:01

    Good thing it didn't happen to me. I would have probably just dumped the snow on his hood and suffered the conciquences (sp)

  12. #12cat3202007-04-17 12:54

    I can't say i have seen much packed on snow flying off a truck, and at 2 am the cop must of had nothing to do.

  13. #13jmac2007-04-17 15:34

    Wow that is BS. I moved snow all winter with my truck. The truck would have snow flowing over the sides. Cops would watch us all night. Never stopped. Mass sucks. Like Dwan said I would of dropped load in the street!

  14. #14ctkiteboarding2007-04-17 17:32

    it always pisses me off when i hear about the police or dmv completely abusing thier "power" what the hell are they thinking about,, here you are working your ass off in the middle of the nite and this jack arse shows up,,, AMAZING:beatsme

  15. #15mflah872007-04-17 22:01

    We were moving it probably a half mile down the road. I couldn't believe it when we got the tickets i thought my drivers were kidding. A buddy of mine plows for the state and the dot came in the yard checking everyones sander. Its usually the young new cops looking to cause trouble. If it was an older cop he wouldnt have bothered unless you were throwing chunks of snow in the street.

  16. #16mflah872007-04-22 18:39

    Hey I can top the snow hauling fine with this one. Anyone who does asphalt knows you get some mix that sticks to the sideboards. My truck driver was empty, got pulled over, trooper wrote him up for no tarp on the load saying that was considered the load! I went down and argued with him and he went through my truck looking for problems. Luckily I had my pickup and nothing was wrong, but the nerve of these guys drives me crazy.

  17. #17AFZIMM2007-05-22 23:40

    A few years back a buddy of mine was hauling 1.5" washed rock to a cement plant. He was hauling it in a belly dump semi trailer. The belly gates never close perfectly tight on those things anyway. Well he meets a trooper on the highway, who immediately wheels around to stop him for speeding. When the trooper got up behind him a couple rocks bounced out through the crack and busted the cops windsheild. He threw the book at him, unsecure load, no tarp, speeding. I guess the cop was really ticked off about the windshield.

  18. #18thejdman042007-05-23 21:40

    This is why I hate cops, some are great, actually crime fighters. But the ones out harassing somone for no tarp on blacktop needs to get a life.

  19. #19dumptrucker2007-05-28 20:18

    Here in vermont we don't have to tarp loads. They have tried 3 years in a row to pass a tarp law, didn't fly.

  20. #20Tn Bulldog2007-06-06 21:06

    here its 4" under the side . later yall Bulldog

  21. #21Duke2007-06-07 17:18

    They do enforce snow flying off trucks. I have knowledge of this. A friend of ours was driving her SUV down an interstate behind a box truck with a large sheet of ice/snow stuck to the top of the box. A big chunk suddenly flew off and crashed into her Pathfinder. It smashed the windshield so badly that the glass went into the cab causing her to lose control of her vehicle & crash. It also collapsed the hood of her car and grille. It could have been fatal. Now that's a different type of snow load lost off a truck, but you must clean large loads off snow off your truck's roof & cargo area because they can do terrible damage.

  22. #22rino2007-06-20 13:58

    In Ohio Each municipality can require tarping or not. Here our rule of thumb is if you have a tarp, roll yur rag. I have seen rock buckets who have nothing more than a landscapers tarp get pulled over for not tarping concrete slabs, while a tandum drives by with dirt a foot above the rails, but NO tarp on the truck, so no interest! One of our drivers got a ticket for the tarp on dirt in Cuyahga County, and another got a ticket for lost load, when a stupidvisor decided to chip and seal a road 1 hour before we paved it! We were tracking chip and seal for 5 miles! I thought lost load was te wrong charge, it should have been dirty tires!

  23. #23richardcatdaddy2007-06-22 19:11

    subject Here in Ky where I live,if its loaded its gotta be tarped.Dont matter if 1/2 inch deep or full to the side boards.No tarp,= fines and tickets.In Lexington Ky all the local cops are DOT certified and will do truck inspections at the drop of a hat.And they dont seem to miss much either,pretty strict.