Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TB-016 Hydraulic tank sight gage leaking… where to get replacement?

AirBornOne · 2013-08-26 01:27

Hey gang, I need some help locating one of those rectangular,clear plastic,bolt on sight gages.Can't seem to locate one. Thanks for any help. Jay

Replies26
  1. #1ValleyFirewood2013-08-26 02:05

    eBay

  2. #2AirBornOne2013-08-26 03:23

    Thanks.Close but no cigar. I actually did check eBay prior to my post. I even googled and found a mfg. or dealer from the search results 'images' page.They don't have my size. A note for googlers,if you don't get a direct hit for your search,among the results there will usually be something like "images for ...." .Select the images page and scroll on through.You will likely find at least a reference to what your looking for. HTH Jay.

  3. #3Lil' Puss2013-08-26 11:49

    Grainger. Scroll around. Lots of different sizes. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Mounting-Center-Level-Gauge-24W711?Pid=search

  4. #4AirBornOne2013-08-26 13:03

    Thanks Puss, The closest Grainger has is a 3" center mtg. The mtg. centers on my gauge measure 72mm (which is a bit odd). I'll hunt down some metric bolts & plug this off. Looks like I'll end up machining one. Appreciate your efforts. Jay.

  5. #5jrtraderny2013-08-26 20:08

    surpluscenter.com, baileysales.com .

  6. #6Lil' Puss2013-08-27 02:32

    McMaster-Carr. Note the vented style and "build your own." http://www.mcmaster.com/#sight-gauges/=o8q9nz

  7. #7AirBornOne2013-08-30 00:19

    Thanks again Puss, this needs to be a sealed item.The build your own is primarily for use on stationary equipment. Typical application would be low psi steam boilers,feed tanks and such and have 1/2" NPT fittings. My little unit has 50mm center dimension for the mounting bolts.Everything I've seen is 3" or more. I've picked up a block of acrylic & a couple specialty drills & will fabricate a piece. A pair of 10mm bolts have the tank secured for know. Skies Jay.

  8. #8Lil' Puss2013-08-30 12:52

    I think that's exactly the same size as the one on my old mini and my '06 dozer, except the two that are on the dozer are aluminum and you can't read them from the sides.

  9. #9AirBornOne2013-08-30 17:47

    Fabbing up a replacement.The first coat of red nail polish is drying right now. It sure feels funny walking into a nail salon & buying red & white nail polish. Almost felt like I should belch or something so they wouldn't think I was gonna paint my toes. Jay

  10. #10joispoi2013-08-31 10:18

    S.F. Bay Area in your sig..... I'm sure they're used to it. Heck, I'm surprised you didn't have any on hand. :lmao

  11. #11Lil' Puss2013-08-31 10:38

    :OMG :jawdrop :falldownlaugh I'm from the Bay Area myself. Looking good Jay.

  12. #12AirBornOne2013-08-31 20:07

    :lmao:bouncegri I was afraid it had dried up by now.Works great for color coding wiring. I had a few minutes til my pizza was ready & saw the nail salon. $2.00 for a used red & $5.00 for a new white.Not that I need to explain or nuthin. Jay P.S. Gee,after all that I hope it fits. And I sure would like to polish the sight tube a tad.

  13. #13Lil' Puss2013-08-31 20:13

    Have to admit that looks pretty awesome. Didn't think to suggest it at the time but I've used colored electrical tape on sight tubes before. Works great.

  14. #14AirBornOne2013-08-31 20:27

    Now he tells me. Thanks Puss. And of course if you added up the time... If a direct replacement was available I could have considered that.But then I would have missed out on the experience. Whereabouts in the Bay Area you from Puss. LosGatos? J

  15. #15stumpjumper832013-08-31 21:19

    What did takeuchi want for a new one?

  16. #16Lil' Puss2013-08-31 22:33

    The Peninsula - Redwood City/Menlo Park area. Dozer sight gauge. About same size but can't view from sides.

  17. #17mitch5042013-08-31 22:59

    What kind of dozer is that, lil puss?

  18. #18joispoi2013-09-01 00:36

    Nice work, Jay!

  19. #19Lil' Puss2013-09-01 13:12

    It's a '06 Yuchai YCT306. About the same size as a Cat D2.

  20. #20mitch5042013-09-01 13:28

    Is that like the Northern Tool dozers? How do you like it?

  21. #21Lil' Puss2013-09-01 16:14

    Yes. Nortrac is a re-branded Yuchai. I like it fine. Mine has rubber tracks, six-way blade, and the optional front end loader attachment. It's a good little workhorse. I've done extensive mods to make it even more fun. It weighs in at around 7,000 lbs. operating weight.

  22. #22AirBornOne2013-09-20 03:40

    Sorry for the delay jumper83;I didn't contact Takeuchi,didn't know who or where to talk to.I last used a forum advertiser 'Ohio Takeuchi' (IIRC) several years ago to DL the shop manuals but have lost their contact. I did get my gage completed & installed. I used some old polishing compound & a bore type brush on a drill to get the sight bore cleaned up a little. Now I need to get my fluid cleaned up. It seems that when I connected & opened up the aux. circuit for the auger,all this 'black' oil came out.I'm thinking the hoses gave up some lampblack over the years. How about a 10 micron spin on filter connected to my aux. circuit,discharged into a bucket & then poured back into the resevoir? Any thoughts are appreciated guys. Jay

  23. #23joispoi2013-09-20 06:46

    Hydraulic fluid should be clear. I would skip the filter thing and just dispose of the black oil. The volume of new oil needed to replace the black oil in the hydraulic line is going to cost you less than a filter. Besides, spin on filters have built in bypass valves that will let particles get through.

  24. #24Lil' Puss2013-09-21 03:07

    Not all hydraulic oil is clear. The multi-vis oil I use is a light amber, and the Union 76 hydraulic oil that came in my Mustang was purple. If you're cheap like me you'll "polish" your used hydraulic oil. I have a 30 gallon steel tank fitted with a 3/8" bronze gear pump and a 1/4 HP electric motor which draws hydraulic oil through three Racor filters. The element in the first filter is 10µ, second one is 5µ, and the third one is 2µ. I let it recirculate for three days, and to date have not had a bad analysis. Good job on that sight gauge too!

  25. #25AirBornOne2013-09-21 07:48

    Thanks Joi, Yep,my fluid started out clear.Until I got ambitious that is. Prolly the better part of wisdom to replace w/fresh fluid & protect my expensive pump(s) & drives. Thanks Puss, Your thread is what got me thinking about filtering. I did come across a 3,000 psi filter head & element that I could connect across my aux circuit but a stand alone setup like yours would be the way to go. Glad you like the gauge,sure spent enough time on it.And no leaks! Thanks again guys Jay.

  26. #26Lil' Puss2013-09-21 15:56

    The reason I justify the "polishing" is that I use the same oil in all my hydraulic systems, and the left drive motor seal leaks slightly into the chaincase on the Mustang. It was also much easier to rig up the polishing system than to dig into the Mustang.