Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TB138 FR with travel speed issue (and thumb question)

diggertooth · 2021-07-08 18:21

Hi all, First time poster but long time reader. I recently bought a used TB138FR and it's had 1 known issue (lack of thumb closing pressure) and just recently developed a new issue (can't get 2nd travel speed to work correctly) I'll start with travel speed as I think it's an electrical issue based on it's symptoms - light comes on sort of faintly when I use either right or left travel sticks/pedals but immediately goes off when not moving, when I depress the button the light gets brighter but does not "click" and stay on. Possibly related my travel alarm also stopped working at the same time as this. Is there a fuse related to both of those items that could be causing that? Any help or thoughts are appreciated 2nd is the thumb - aftermarket Amulet thumb, opens with some power but can't close the thumb with any power, as in I can't pick up even a small branch without it slipping back open. I thought maybe it was as simple as cylinder seals but there were no leaks or scarring on the cylinder. I replaced the seals anyway (had my local hydraulic place do it actually) but still no love. My 2nd thought is the port relief valve that controls the aux may be bad but I don't know how to figure out how to test or replace which valve it is. Any thoughts or advice is helpful. Thanks everyone!

Replies8
  1. #1uffex2021-07-09 04:06

    Good day 2nd issue Often the option control (Auxiliary) serves for both thumb and hammer, if the control has been adjusted for hammer you will have a tank line to one side preventing the thumb cylinder from operating in both directions. Take a close look at the operation manual, it should describe how to adjust to thumb operation. If you have a manual with a schematic posting, this will enable us to help some more. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2diggertooth2021-07-09 12:34

    I’m thinking you’d adjust it at the proportional control solenoid block for the aux - is attached a couple of photos from the parts manual but I didn’t see it in the operators manual. Not sure if those images help. On the side of the boom there are two simple shut off valves that go to each side of the thumb cylinder - both have good seals and are fully opened, not sure if that’s what you meant. Thanks for any responses

  3. #3heymccall2021-07-09 13:24

    No 1 is most likely a bad ground wire connection to the chassis. No 2 is most likely the one way/ two way ball valve. It needs turned 90°.

  4. #4uffex2021-07-10 03:50

    Good day The information I have is not so good but I suspect the valve marked yellow is a ball valve heymcall refers try turning the direction to closed. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5heymccall2021-07-10 09:41

    The valve is under a rubber plug in the outer sheetmetal cover on my TB180FR and TB53FR machines.

  6. #6diggertooth2021-07-14 16:53

    Uffex and heymccall - exactly it on the thumb - was left set up for a breaker as you suspected and turning that valve after I knew where to look solved it. Thank you! heymccall you mentioned a bad ground wire to the chassis - for the 2 speed travel - where would I start looking for that? I've attached the electrical schematic that involves the travel 2-speed resist relay, not sure if that's the place to look or actually off the switch that runs up to the travel controls (shown in 2nd pdf as I think (3) and (3-1)). Thank you both for the HUGE help that thumb control was

  7. #7heymccall2021-07-14 18:24

    Start with this ground On my TB53FR, an engine ground rotted off, and it used the throttle cable (until it melted off) to complete the ground for the whole engine. Is the wiring unmolested? I only ask because the 2spd lamp (and switch) shouldn't be related to actual travel.

  8. #8diggertooth2021-07-15 10:27

    Found it, thank you both again, was actually located at an attempt to bypass the travel alarm it appears - somehow kept tripping the fuse for 2nd speed travel, when I just reconnected everything in the right order it seems to be working like a champ, thanks to you both for your help. I'm back in business