Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

tb240 vs cat 304

Carolina start up · 2023-12-27 15:41

So i know they aren't exactly on the same level with the 240 being slightly smaller with less horsepower and weight but im wondering which would be better to go with and anyone's experiences with these units. I'm primarily a landscaper so these aren't going to be used daily and pushed to the limits both are used 240 has 2380 hours with a brand new thumb for 30k coming from a rental yard. the cat has 2800 hours from 40k and coming from the cat dealer it also has a thumb both are open stations. right now I have a few jobs lined up next year enough jobs to justify a purchase. i have a driveway drainage job actually about 4 of those a new culvert install and then some small clearing jobs nothing too crazy. Does anyone care to weigh in on which machine to get I can go either way both dealers are about 50 minutes away and I have no experience with either mostly just been renting a Kubota for the local places.

Replies29
  1. #1PeterG2023-12-27 21:31

    Takeuchi, Cat, and Kubota are all great brands. I own a few Takeuchi machines (Three mini excavators and one track loader). I have a TB240 that I bought new. I like the machine a lot. I have mostly TAG buckets for it. I use a 12",18", 24" digging bucket, and a 4' wide grading cleanout. I also have pallet forks for it and a concrete breaker. Happy with the power and controls. Adjusting the attachment flow a bit complicated. Mine has always had a small radiator system leak that no one can really find. The thumb is a must. The quick connect works ok, but is not the best to always get the pin out easily - it can depend on the bucket you're using.

  2. #2Simon C2023-12-30 19:30

    Great pictures Peter G. Job and machine both look great. Simon C

  3. #3PeterG2023-12-30 20:37

    Hey thanks! Here are the projects finished.

  4. #4Simon C2023-12-30 21:02

    That is great looking work. It adds so much curb appeal to a place. The green drain at the back end of the retaining wall is in case too much water comes at wall or am I seeing wrong? Raisd Paver Patio is worth its way in gold. Inviting place to sit with company. You may have to do another, once someone else sees it. Simon C

  5. #5PeterG2023-12-30 21:29

    Thanks for the kind words! Green thing in middle image is a children's plastic play slide not drain pipe. Hard access to get to that job. The ramps were not used to get the excavator back there as they are not strong enough

  6. #6Simon C2023-12-30 21:39

    These people spent some money, but every neighbour will be commenting on the value it added to their place. Thanks for some of the ideas. Simon C

  7. #7Canuck Digger2023-12-31 17:12

    Kinda thinking the TK is not a zero/reduced tail swing but the cat is.?? Would that make a difference? I'd prob. odpt for the TK. They're tough and reliable. Just not a huge Cat fan based on my previous Cat experience.

  8. #8skyking12023-12-31 17:23

    ^10K left on the table too, going that route. My only qualm would be the rental history of it. I'd make sure nothing is loose, cracked or messed up in the boom and stick etc.

  9. #9PeterG2024-01-01 12:57

    The number one thing to check first on the Used rental Takeuchi is the Air filter housing. The housing is closed by three lousy wire clips which are closed without view of how well the clips are secured. I bought a used TB135 from United Rentals. The air filter housing was damaged from the mechanics damaging the housing trying to get the clips engaged. I didn't see the seriousness of that. If so, I would have had the engine checked out and a new filter housing installed immediately if purchased. The engine had been run, and likely run by me with the housing not closed all the way. Soon the engine was shot. That was the end of that machine for me.

  10. #10PeterG2024-01-01 13:12

    That's an interesting call. A zero turn machine with an arm to the side is real helpful. In regards to the job in the image above, I wanted to use my TB153FR zero turn machine. When doing the drain rock back fill behind the wall as in the above image, the arm moves to the side allowing for tighter dumping of the bucket compared to a machine with an arm in the middle. Despite being wider, that machine would have been better. Also, to move material up there easier, I needed to reach into the back of the dump truck. However, the bigger machine needed my bigger truck and trailer to haul if to the job. With narrow streets and small roundabouts in the Seattle area, this would not work.

  11. #11Carolina start up2024-01-05 20:08

    so i ended up buying the 240 went and played with it and everything was taken care of and maintained. little play in the bucket but beyond that was great should hopefully be here by the end of the month ( had to order a thumb takes 3 weeks to get here)

  12. #12PeterG2024-01-05 21:13

    Congrats! A little bucket loose shake is sort of normal. It's likely in the TAG quick connect. There may be a couple of screws in the coupler end to tighten down the bucket, but I don't uses them. Make sure the welding on the thumb looks good, and make sure you have good paperwork to keep on the install for liability and any other issues. Always check that the air filter clips are secured down. Bon Voyage!

  13. #13Carolina start up2024-01-06 09:47

    yeah i anit to worried about it im pretty excited been wanting one of these forever plus I think its a pretty decent deal for now time to add a skid steer and a dump truck

  14. #14PeterG2024-01-06 15:07

    Takeuchi of course makes pretty good track loaders. Mine is old, but still does the job well.

  15. #15Carolina start up2024-01-07 11:53

    i do have a tractor with a loader right now, but I'm definitely going to have to get a skid steer later on down the road. just excited to be able to extend my services

  16. #16Welder Dave2024-01-08 01:08

    Do you have a Tak. dealer near by?

  17. #17Carolina start up2024-01-08 20:36

    yes about 30 minutes away

  18. #18Welder Dave2024-01-08 20:40

    That's good. Hopefully they're well established and have a good reputation. I was reading on here maybe a year ago that Tak is losing dealers because they are expecting the dealers to order way more machines than they could ever sell.

  19. #19Carolina start up2024-01-08 21:00

    well, they seem to be good dealers the one closer to me is small though but every time the farm show is here in North Carolina they set up a booth.

  20. #20Carolina start up2024-01-10 13:26
  21. #21Carolina start up2024-01-10 13:26

    Here’s a few photos of it while I wait for it to get the thumb

  22. #22PeterG2024-01-10 15:39

    Looks good! Tracks are a bit different style. Did you get all the service records from United Rentals?

  23. #23Carolina start up2024-01-10 15:50

    yes and I spoke to their lead tech out there everything seemed checked out they said either they could service it or I could take it to the Takeuchi dealer

  24. #24Koja2024-01-17 23:07

    Love my 304, I ask alot out of it and its never let me down

  25. #25Carolina start up2024-01-21 14:06

    I really just dint wanna drive to South Carolina to the cat dealer…. Plus I did message them and like every cat dealer they never email me back. I will say I’m just happy to have a excavator I got a clearing job with it in February If the ground ever dries up I think it will pair good with the 40hp kubota tractor with the loader till I purchase a skid steer

  26. #26PeterG2024-01-21 16:13

    I see you have a digging bucket. If you need more buckets such as a grading bucket, I ended up ordering new TAG buckets (12" -48") from a guy named Joe in Cecil PA at Phoenix Equipment (412-221-6766) who even with shipping to WA was less than my Dealer. By the way, you can up size to bigger buckets, as I sometimes use the buckets from my TB153fr on my TB240 based on weight and balance, materials, etc.

  27. #27Carolina start up2024-01-23 07:05

    I’d like to get a trenching bucket and a 48” bucket for ditch’s so thank you for info the machine will be here this afternoon so I’m excited

  28. #28Ez2152025-04-09 09:05

    How’s the 240 holding up? Currently looking to add a mini and the 240 seems to he one of the few I can find with the digging depth and weight combo that works for me. There’s a couple Tak dealers near me so service shouldn’t be much of an issue

  29. #29Carolina start up2025-04-22 22:46

    Love it does everything I ask it to do and more. Easy to transport behind a 2500 truck. Small enough to do small jobs and large jobs overall I really like it. I’d buy another without hesitation in a year we have put 400 hours on it without any real problems.