We have a 1974 TD 15c that the transmission oil will get hot after about 3 hrs of pushing. It has about 20-30 hrs on it after taking the torque converter out. We replaced the turbine and seals which i am guessing stemmed from having a bad rear crankshaft seal. It has new oil and new filters in it. We just took the trans oil cooler off and cleaned it. We have checked the pressures and the only pressure that seemed really off was the lube pressure. Would that indicate a bad charge pump or do we have springs broke in something? We have messed with it for over a week and are having trouble figuring out what the problem is. Everything works well on the dozer even after the oil gets hot but we always have to shut it down for the day once it gets hot. It will cool down with idling but it warms right back up once you start pushing dirt again.
I ran a TD-15c with a problem in the transmission which caused it to overheat and the dealer overhauled it for us and told us the problem was some sort of bypass was allowing the oil to circulate faster than it should.That was quite a while ago and I can not remember the specifics but basically they corrected that and the dozer was one of the best machines I ever ran,it did every thing well.Ron G
I had a Dresser TD-15C. I bought it knowing I had to overhaul the engine. I had a retired IHC mechanic help me with the overhaul. This has been a number of years ago but I remember when we were getting ready to start it for the first time that he paid alot of attention to the trans pressure. If I recall, he wanted adequate trans pressure by the time the motor turned over 3 times. So, basically if you leave your throttle in the off postion and just spin the motor over the trans pressure guage should pop up in 3 revolutions. I do remember him saying if it didnt come up that the charge pump was the first place he looked for the problem. He has since passed away otherwise I would call and ask him. Hope that helps a little
tkwfarms, I have a '72 -15c doing the same thing. Operating pressure is 195, a little low, but it pushes good for several hours then I have to let it cool off. If you figure something out, post on here so I can see if it helps me out.
TD15C Trans; One thing to look out for on most inter dresser tractor is that if transmission have be operated for a prolonged time with high trans temp they will tend to dish bow or distort cluch plates in all speed selections this results in clucth pack drag which intern will cause over heating ,the only way to find if this is problem will be a rebuild Best of luck Paulie
Do these have a strainer like the smaller trim dozers?
Td15c Yes ,Have look under foot plate it will be either a steel and or alloy canister if its not under foot plate look in left hand compartment, beside the seat, cover is removed from outer left side of tractor should be suction and main filter in this area
I don't know much about this but the Cat guys are always talking about flooding the torque. Or something like that that .
Td15c Yes ,have heard of this ,but never seen it. With the TD15 they rely on the convertor drive-housing to throw any excess lube and leakage oil to a drain point ,which is located either on the bottom right or left? of flywheel housing which intern drains directly to the bevel gear-steering compartment, so, the only way the flywheel housing could become ''flooded'' is if the seal rings on convertor are complete gone or hole in convertor or major component failure or, drain line has been plugged or fitted incorrectly or the bevel gear-steering compartment has been over fill !!! A little bit of info Convertor type; Rockford single stage fix stator Operating temp range; normal 82-92 C.to max 120 C which in your paddock is normal 180-200 F , maximum 250 F
Hi slightly off topic but my dozer leaks oil out the starter motor when parked up for the night on a slight down hill, i took the plate of the top of the converter and could see oil below the converter and it is rippling like oil is dripping into it, what might be causing that, everything works fine and doesnt seem to lose oil while running, doesnt overheat or anything like that. Thanks
Some flywheel housings have oil in them. The starter must be sealed with a gasket and internally to keep oil from leaking
Thanks i'll pull the starter off and see whats behind there.