Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TD-15C injection pump R&I

92U 3406 · 2023-08-21 18:24

Have a customer wanting the injection pump removed on a TD-15C dozer. I don't have the S/N on hand at the moment. Just wondering if anyone had the procedure to R&I the injection pump? More or less just curious what is all involved in terms of timing and anything a guy should know to save some grief.

Replies25
  1. #1OzDozer2023-08-21 21:31

    YooToob is your friend, 92U - I presume it has the Ambac rotary pump and not the inline version? Being IH, it could have any combination of an engine and pump, depending on the day of the week it was built! The link below has the TD15C Service Manual, but I'm having trouble getting it to download right at present. I trust it works for you. https://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/IH_TD15C_175C_CRAWLER_SERVICE.pdf

  2. #292U 34062023-08-21 21:40

    Ironically enough I watched the first bit of that video earlier today. I'm going to finish it later this evening when I have a chance to sit down. I'm not sure about anything with this dozer. Haven't laid eyes on it but I can certainly have some pictures and info sent to me in the next day or 2. More or less just want to ensure I get the timing correct.

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-08-22 06:48

    I downloaded the manual from the link OzDozer posted. It covers the engine removal only. The DT-466 engine fuel pump is in a separate publication. It was available to purchase when the machine was new for $4.66.

  4. #492U 34062023-08-22 08:59

    So its a DT-466 in there? Never knew that.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-08-22 09:20

    TD-15C had the DT-466B, earlier TD-15B ran the DT-407. https://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/TD15CCRDZRINFO.pdf

  6. #6Tinkerer2023-08-22 09:30

    Yes, DT-466, unless it has been changed for a different one from the original.

  7. #7OzDozer2023-08-22 09:38

    This is the DT-466 engine manual you want, and this copy is the cheapest I can find anywhere. The seller is located in Oregon in the U.S. This item is unavailable - Etsy Find the perfect handmade gift, vintage & on-trend clothes, unique jewellery, and more… lots more. www.etsy.com Here's a link to the Ambac Model 100 injection pump overhaul manual. Ambac became UTDS (United Technologies Diesel Systems), so the pump can also be known as the UTDS Model 100. model 100 diesel fuel injection pump service ... - AMBAC International model 100 diesel fuel injection pump service ... - AMBAC Read more about model, diesel, fuel, injection, pump y service. www.yumpu.com

  8. #8tctractors2023-08-22 15:41

    That mans pump was worn out and in need of a rebuild, I had to send an Ambac pump to the U.S. to be rebuilt around 9 months ago as in the U.K. I could find nobody willing to repair this make of pump, the engine was the DT-466B in the TD15C, when I first set the crank pulley and the pump marks the engine would not fire up, I removed the 3 bolts from the pump and rotated the pump 360 until the timing marks all lined up again and the engine started near first crank, the pump repair itself was not to costly but the Air Freight and Customs managed to pull my Pants Down some, but the change to the engine power was worth every coin, the High Idle on these engines is way higher than a CAT I think it was around 2'600 RPM, these 466's can get a hold of a load and hang in well, the Dozer was fitted with a straight stack so the noise is Hell.

  9. #9OzDozer2023-08-22 18:10

    There's a guy on YooToob, calls himself IP Farms, he's got a story about his IH 1086 wheeltractor (DT-414, I believe - but it uses the same Ambac 100 pump), where failed to time the engine and pump BEFORE he removed the pump. He then threw the pump back on, just aligning the pump timing mark in the pump window - and his 1086 wouldn't run for love nor money. So he got a helper in, and they realised after a while, that the pump turns at HALF the speed of the engine - and he'd got the timing 180° out. He re-timed the whole shebang and she fired up just fine. His story-telling is a bit painful and long winded, and he makes every simple mistake in the book with nearly everything he does, but he cheerfully admits it.

  10. #101693TA2023-08-22 18:36

    I've seen plenty of guys install the pumps, and distributors 180 degrees out. They "assume" when the timing makes align on the crank, or flywheel to pointer it is on compression stroke where in reality it's a 50/50 shot if not verified.

  11. #1192U 34062023-08-22 19:43

    Pretty much pulling the valve cover is a given I guess? Not unless there's another way to verify TDC #1.

  12. #121693TA2023-08-22 19:46

    That works as does pulling an injector and rolling the engine feeling for pressure as the piston rises. Won't make pressure on exhaust stroke.

  13. #1392U 34062023-08-22 19:48

    I haven't laid eyes on a 466 in probably 15 years. I guess I'll have to see what will be easiest once I get out there. Seems like it'd be a pretty straightforward job.

  14. #14thepumpguysc2023-08-22 21:53

    if it’s an Ambac Mdl 100 pump.. it’s easy to get out of time, simply because the timing line in the front will come up TWICE.. Here’s the easiest way to MAKE SURE your on compression stroke.. Remove the side cover on the pump..4 flathead screws. Looking inside you’ll see a large rotating gear.. u probably can’t tell it’s a gear but it is.. Anyway, it has a timing line on it.. rotate the engine until u see that line on the gear.. that tells u ur coming up on #1 compression stroke.. Now go to the front of the pump.. there’s a plug u unscrew to SEE a pointer..on the pump.. There’s also a plate on the flywheel, on the opposite side. (Passenger side) that has the degree marks & pointer.. Using a screwdriver u can move the flywheel to the correct degrees..VERY IMPORTANT u know what to set it too.!! (18-22*) Set the flywheel to the correct degrees and go back to the front of the pump and CHECK the pump pointer and timing line..ur gonna need a flashlight for this.. Your timing is now complete.. Feel free to ask if u have questions..

  15. #15tctractors2023-08-23 13:17

    To remove injectors rocket cover on the TD15 is a load of faffing about and not worth the hassle, I would just fit the pump lined up with the crank I think it was 18° BTD and give it a spin, of it fails to fire after only a short spin it needs the pump drive turning 360° to run.

  16. #1692U 34062023-08-25 11:54

    So we're actually pulling 2 pumps. One on the dozer, one on a tractor. The tractor has the plate on the RH side of the flywheel. The dozer doesn't have any access points to the flywheel that I can find. Just the starter.

  17. #17thepumpguysc2023-08-25 12:22

    Both the same pump.??

  18. #1892U 34062023-08-25 14:03

    Yep. We found the timing degree markings on the crank damper on the dozer so its all good. Really dirty in there so we didn't see them at first.

  19. #19thepumpguysc2023-08-25 15:21

    As long as u remove the pump side cover and see that #1 timing line going around inside the pump… and see the pointer line up on the front of the pump, your golden..

  20. #2092U 34062023-08-25 16:23

    Pointer on the pump lined up at about 18-20 degrees BTDC. Pumps are going out for overhaul but wanted the timing as close as possible to ease installation when the time comes. I've got the static timing spec for the tractor but not the dozer. Anyone happen to know the static timing degrees for the TD15C?

  21. #21thepumpguysc2023-08-25 18:38

    If u get the mdl 100 data off the name plate and call the fuel shop, they can look it up for u..

  22. #2292U 34062023-08-25 19:28

    Will do, thank you.

  23. #2392U 34062023-09-08 19:29

    So got the pumps back and installed yesterday. Zero issues with the dozer. Fired right up and ran great. The tractor I ended up 360° out on the crankshaft. I just set the timing to 18° BTDC, pulled the pump gear, barred the engine over a full turn back to 18° BTDC and reinstalled the gear. Fired right up no problem.

  24. #24thepumpguysc2023-09-09 04:21

    We knew u could do it..

  25. #25tctractors2023-09-09 15:11

    If you read the Service Book that is exactly how it tells you to do it, I think 18 deg is the correct spot to be, you will need to check the high and low idle setting and adjust to the correct standard, I think the High setting was 2550 or 2600 rpm, these engines have some steam on full chat, you should have turned the pump drive 360 and not touched the crank it would have been so much easier, obviously anything I said was wasted here.