Hello Guys, I'm new to the site and have been reading and decided to register In hopes you guys can help me learn about my Dozers. I've started farming and clearing land so I bought a TD15c about a 1981 model and a komatsu D21p-7. My questions are mostly concerning the TD15c. #1- under the seat is a long dipstick. Is this the transmission stick and what do I put in it? #2- hydraulic tank is incorporated with the diesel tank, it uses 10W hyd fluid? #3- where is the filter for the hydraulic fluid? #4- where is the grease zerk for tightening the tracks? #5- engine was changed out to a dt466 turbo. There are 2 filters on the right side of the motor, threads facing downward. I assume is the twin oil filters? And it would seem the oil would run out of them facing down. Just puzzles me. Are these for motor oil?... #6- twin fuel filters on the left side of the motor correct? #7- I found a pdf spec sheet on my Komatsu D21p on the net that is helpful. Still trying to find one on the TD15c. I'm searching from my phone due to delay of internet installation , maybe I can find some info when that's hooked here at the farm, but some helpful links would be appreciated. #8- I found out how to check and fill the finals by some threads here. And they use 90-w gear oil? Anything else I need to know ? And positive advise would be appreciated. Thank you Guys!
I think I'd purchase this manual. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Internation...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item53f96b190c It's only $25 and will probably save you from finding out issues the hard way. We had an early TD-15B with a much smaller engine but that thing would push like crazy.
Very good thanks "Oarwhat". Got it saved.
Glad to have another 15c owner aboard. Chumduffy is very well versed in these tractors as he has owned prolly a dozen of them and the e series tractors over the years and still has 6 15's of various vintages. Long stick behind the seat is the tranny fluid use hytran or equivalent, aw-46 will cost you big time. Cap on the right is the hydraulic system, separate from the trans, uses aw-46, or hytran. Yes twin oil and fuel filters. Aprox 20 tons of dozer in the 140 - 150 hp range. To tighten the tracks dig around just behind the front idlers, its in there somewhere. Front idlers are oil bath, thru a little allen screw in the inboard side of the idler. Dt 466's are factory options in the motors and equal or better than the kommie, since your is pre 87ish the 466 is correct. That's my beast
Thanks Stumpjumper83 that helps.. heres a picture of mine.
Found the grease zerks on the yoke,, now where can i find the serial number? seat frame has been sandblasted and erased and painted over.. Id like to know what year model this is.. thanks
Wow I've never seen grousers worn that far down. How about a picture of the track links and sprockets? Too seen how worn they are. And a picture of the front idler it maybe adjusted all the way already.
I thought they were only about 13 ton? 20 ton is up around the TD20 size.
TD15B was around 13 -14 tons I don't know about the C's
they used it on a barge pushing rocks off and put the worn pads on it because he said it got better traction on the metal deck of the barge, undercarriage is suppose to have very little hours on it, been sitting on a farm for last 10 years after the man died that owned it,, ill try to get pics, ive got a lot of maintenance to do on it when the weather gets better,, ill prob weld on some new grousers. i need to service it and adjust the sticks..
The grease zerk for the track adjuster is located directly behind the front idler.
Thanks CApt. I have found those but havent tried to pump them yet, id like to change out the zerks they are bad rusty, im gonna get the pressure washer out and clean it good and do a full service on it when weather permits. im just learning about it now before i tear into it, and this is one of the most helpful forums ive came across yet. any tips on filter numbers, capacities check and fill locations would be appreciated.. when i finally start on this i will post a bunch of pictures of how to and where to for future members looking for the same stuff im researching. Thanks again Bud!
I keep trying to post a picture, but tapatalk claims it has been updated and won't let me.
i haven't had any problems posting pics and don't know what tapatalk is but you might need to update your computer or phone, wish i could help cause pictures are worth a thousand words. and it helps dumb it down for us newbies! ...
My school has one of these prime units (TD15C) that I have had quite a bit of experience with. Let me know if I can help!
Nice little dozers they are, spent over 20,000hrs on a 15B & 2 x 15 Cs that the outfit I was with in NZ bought back in the 70s & 80s, first one in 71 was a B next one in 74 was a C and the last one in 78 was a C. One thing to check is the track frame front guide wear strips if they get to worn it can cause the pivot shaft to break.
R.D. do you have a picture? ii have no idea where that is, i have ordered a manual but it wont be here anyday soon, .. thanks.
It is the sliding guide on the inside of the front top roller that attaches the front of the track frame to the main chassis, it holds the front of the track frame in line but allows it to move vertically up and down, there is an equaliser bar that goes across between the track frames that the front end of the machine sits on it has a non greaseable pin in the middle of it.
I ran a 15c for a few years and is one of the best performing dozers I ever ran.It behaved very well and could push just about anything it looked at.Those track adjusting fittings are a special breed as you probably know and not always easy to find so be sure that you have the hardware before you pull the old ones out.The most common problem that I have had is the ball that mates with the grease gun head gets a ding in it and you cannot pump grease in it to adjust the track and unfortunately you don't find it out until you have lost whatever pressure that you had and in some cases you cannot use the dozer until you replace them.The fittings are made to bleed off the pressure as you loosen them for safety purposes.Ron G
Ok i think i got what you saying ill check that.. thanks
RonG, I got the tracks pumped up some but i dont know the slack specs so right not if you lay a straight edge from the front the the first top roller i have about 2.5" of space.. Thanks God the grease fittings worked!
Ok guys here is the Vin Tag on the fiberglass firewall engine side, its my only hope that i know of to find out what the ser # is and whay year this beast is. Please help if you can, i know its hard to read but its all i got.. cant find there ser number any where.
You can see how loose the tracks were on the dozer I was running and that was how we ran it for quite a while until we got time to service it.That might have needed new fittings too,I cannot remember but no one in that outfit from the top down cared anything about maintainence including the owner.When I went to work for them that very dozer was 13 quarts low on oil and,as I found out,the engine did not use oil!The 466 is bulletproof,International has a good engine program and for the amount they have produced over the years there should be parts around for a long time.Good luck with it.Ron G PS......if you open the side panel doors on each side of the operators compartment there might be a plaque with the specs of the machine and details for the filters,track adjustments etc on the inside of the door.Many machines have that in a safe place and I have run so many different machines over the years that I don't remember who has what.Ron G
The slack between the top roller and front Idler was usually around 1 1/2 inches, if u are working in sand then sometimes it pays to run them a bit looser as sand will pack in the sprocket teeth and can lead to broken recoil springs. As for the 466 engine we did have a few problems back then with big end bearings, had one that put a leg outa bed how ever IH stood behind them and they did become reliable. There was a bit of finger pointing between IH and Shell Oil as to what the problem was, each sorta blaming the others product. LOL.
Speaking of oil.. i need to change it , it sound like we had the same owners.. i checked the engine oil and its about a 1/2 below add. so i might as well change it at this point,, do you happen to know what filter numbers they are for fuel and oil? and how much ould it will hold? i bought a 5 gallon buckey of 15w-40 diesel oil from atwoods and 5 gal bucket of 90w for the finals.. Thanks for the advise RD.
Can anybody tell me about these numbers???? gotta be someone here that knows, lot of good knowledge in this forum...
As far as I know that is the Serial No,
Looking at the pics it looks like the No would be 21025, over on the Redpower website there is a list of all the IH machines and their Ser Nos might be worth having a look there. Cheers.
im seeing 31025 on the last part of the number, ill sand on it to try to see better but i guess i just dont know how to read the vin number i was told it should be a 4 digit number. and when i look at that chart i just figure out where the 31025 or 21025 would fit in to it.. thanks RD..
ffmloyd, try this link and search TD15c. It goes up to 1982 for the TD15 lineup. http://www.dozerpartswarehouse.com/page/420251932 RonG, good to see you posting again. How have you been doing?
yes i seen that but i guess im having a dumb moment i can figure out what im looking at
Heres a better look at the tag maybe someone can tell me how to decode it to look it up on the site above. Thanks fellas ! The number is 4240002U903102? then the last dig (?) is a symbol ive never seen..
View attachment 128808
Looks like 31025 when its shinnied up a bit, that would be its S/N. Looks like its a very late model going by that number.
the last number isnt a 5 now that i blew it up.. its a symbol of some sort..
Got a Pay line book that shows the S/Ns in 1982 starting at 5701 and then continued on with Dresser, if it was 3102 s/n it would be around 1975/76.
Man I don't know RD, this is all i have to go by, can't find the ser number on the rr frame or the seat frame, this one is on the fiberglass firewall motor side,, the guy i bought it from said it was early 80's but i need to verify a solid guess. its obvious to me the number is 4240002U903102_ what ever that last symbol is, im pretty sure its not a number., anyone else wanna take a shot at this? hahaha!
Hi there your serial number makes your dozer around 75 to 76 going by prefix of 424 used from 1972 to 1982 with serial number starting at 2750 for 1975 through to 3322 for 1976. Hope that's of some use.
That is a head scratcher. The machine has Dresser decals which would've made it post 1982 I think, but it has an IH S/N plate and I'm pretty sure the plates were updated with Dresser after the takeover. It looks like the plate on your machine has been painted over, perhaps they repainted the machine and put Dresser decals on it? Went and looked at several TD 15s on machinerytrader and found a few S/N tags that looked like yours. I found at least three and all had 424XXXXU 00 XXXX. The cleaner picture you posted of 424XXXXU903102 looks like it could also be 424XXXXU003102. Therefore I'd guess it's a 1975/76 model as R.D.G stated. Looks like a nice machine. Besides the pads, the undercarriage looks decent.
Boone Razor and RD I do believe you are correct. after looking closer and searching every site possible for vin numbers that what i came up with too.. i cant find the number stamped into the rear right side frame.. yes the tag had been painted over and i razor bladed and sanded as best i could. lots of picture enhancements to get it that good.. Im going with you guys, i guess the seller was just wrong on the year model.. thanks guys i do appreciate it.. im sure ill have more questions when i start working on it..
Boone,I am doing well thanks.Just getting home from the funny farm is therapy all by itself.I still have a lot of Pi** and Vinegar in me but my partner who came and cared for me every day while incarcerated is so afraid that I will fall and hurt myself that she insists that the only way that I can move by myself is in this damned transfer chair.I could walk otherwise and it would be pretty hard to fall in this house because there is always something close by to grab if I needed it.Kinda like "don't go near the water 'till you learn to swim". I consider that she saved my life due to issues that I won't go into here so I give her the consideration that she is due and try to obey,and that is it really,her wishes.I can do more than she knows but time is on my side I think,I am doing a lot of chores here,you can get a long way behind in three years.Thank you for asking and it is good to be back.Ron G
ffmloyd if you look at RonGs pic on the left side of the dozer under the shift tower theres a door were the trans filters are. if your 15 has this door it is a 1978 or newer if your trans filter is under the floor were you put your feet then your 15 is 1977 or older.
td15c,,,,,,, Thanks for that info.. you guys are a big help! :scool ...And mine dont have the door, heres a picture of mine. So i guess it is a 75 model just as boone stated.
You all seem well versed on the TD 15 C, does anyone know of a good source for a rebuilt torque converter part # 658100c92, dozer SN:4840009u006123?
Try http://fpsmitheq.com/ . They're online catalog shows they have some. 800-558-7228 (toll free) 707-864-1122 (phone) Part Number Part Description Machine Make Machine Model Condition Stock Get a Quote 658100C92 CONVERTER TORQUE DRESSER/IH New In Stock Add to Quote 658100C92 TORQ CONV. W/OUT PUMP DRESSER/I.H. TD15C Rebuilt In Stock Add to Quote
Thank you for the info. I will let you know how it works out. I am shopping around. I have gotten prices in a wide range. We haven't had to replace much on this dozer so we are looking for the best sources for now and in the future.
Same here. We have the 175C which shares a few parts with the TD15C, but haven't had to order any big parts. Most of the small stuff we can get at the Komatsu dealer. There's places around with parts, but just requires some hunting.
Thank you very much for your help. We found a good source for parts. if you need parts you might want to try them, Gulf South Equipment Sales 800-462-8118. The person who helped us was Joel, real nice person.