I’m in the process of rebuilding an engine in a TD15C. It’s a DT466 engine. I was cleaning up the head and noticed one of the injectors was about an eight of an inch shorter coming through the valve side. I noticed the rubber boot was torn on the upper side and looked like it had been leaking due to residue buildup. I took the half inch bolt out and roved the slot holder. I pried the remaining part of the boot up. Just not sure how difficult it should be to remove? I have a new one and looks like a spline part of the injector is all that slides down and keeps it in the sleeve? Can anyone offer me pointers on getting the old injector out? It’s very tight! Thank you.
If the threaded part of the injector is straight up, there’s a slide hammer tool that’s used.
Can you get a wrench on the flats where the hold down clamp was?
I found a puller on the internet that screws down on the injector. Hoping to get it tomorrow. I probably could have got a wrench on the flat. I should have tried that because the puller was about $80.
Marcus, I got the injectors out with a puller. All seemed good except for the one I mention above. It was a bear to get out, lot of carbon buildup,etc. I cleaned all the sleeves up and I noticed the sleeve in this one was not perfectly round where the bottom of the injector goes through. It seems like the copper was on the injector should cover the area in question. Should I replace it? Think this might be what caused the problem? Appreciate any advice.
The nozzle/tip gasket are a crush seal.. u should replace them every time the injectors are removed.. MAKE SURE to only use 1 gasket.. I’ve seen injector holes with more than 1 in them.. If u use a dab of Vasoline on the bottom of the injector, then put the gasket on the injector, they go in easily.. DO NOT USE GREASE.. Good luck
Whats your opinion on using copper coat/ copper antiseize on injectors?
Nothing wrong with it.. just don’t get it on the tip/sealing surface..
Thanks for the info. I didn’t explain myself very well. The nozzle sleeve is what I was unsure about needing to replace. I have all new injectors. It’s just looking down into the one nozzle sleeve, it’s out of round compared to all others. I wouldn‘t think the nozzle sleeves would have to be changed with the injectors. What drives the need to replace the sleeve? Thank you.
Oh.. it sounds as if u need to get the sleeves replaced.?? Especially since u noticed it being lower AND leaking. NOWS the time to do it..don’t wait till it’s on the engine.!!