I have a 1972 TD15C that I would like to upgrade the starter to a 12v gear reduction starter. Has anyone done this? If so can you tell me what starter will work? My dozer has the International 466 engine. Thanks for any help John
Have you tried an internet search? I'm quite sure you could find what you need there with a little patients and some searching the links.
Welcome to HEF, John ! Before you purchase it be sure it has the number of teeth on the drive gear as the original.
Good advice! Thank You
I have looked but so far no reliable information
It's even more complicated than that. One engine could be mounted to different rear plates, for different applications, so a cummins B for example could use different starters depending on what it's in, and what the OEM wanted. The first issue is mounting type, usually one of two or three SAE types, two bolt, three bolt 90 degrees, or three bolt 120 degrees mostly. Second issue is number of teeth, BUT diameter and pitch comes in as well, I believe some Nippon Denso starters will use ten teeth with a smaller diameter, and offset the gear in the mount closer to the engine, and replace a Delco starter with 12 teeth for the same flywheel ring gear. Third issue is clocking and clearance. Then voltage obviously. Is this 24V now? why would you want to go 12? unless you want to use only one battery, 24 is superior in every way. If you can't find any good info for a 15C, then take the numbers off the old starter and go from there. Best case scenario is it crosses to a Delco 39MT on their site and you get that one, I'd say in 24V, but 12 would work with new cables etc.
Some manufacturers used 24v because usually 24v starters spin faster than 12v. Some diesels start better the faster they turn over
Good information, thank you. I will look into the 39MT
It doesn't appear that anyone is making a 12V geared starter (OSGR/PLGR) for the DT-466, in the "wet" (sealed) version. I'm presuming the TD15C has an oil-filled flywheel housing. There are numerous 12V geared starters that fit the DT466, but they all appear to be on-highway applications with dry flywheel housings. Here are some sites (below) with good specification information and cross-references. The original starter is a direct drive 40MT, this is now obsolete and replaced by the DD 42MT - and the Delco site gives you the upgrade options to PLGR, which is a 39MT. However, they are all 24V. If you wanted to change over to 12V, you'd probably need to upsize the cables from the original 24V cables. Remember, half the voltage, double the amperage. 12V generally works O.K. in moderate ambient temperatures, but if you want to start it up in the depths of a Nth American Winter, you really need 24V. I'm inclined to think that your options are limited to the 24V 39MT sealed starter. 1114860 40MT New Starter | Product Details | Delco Remy www.delcoremy.com 24 Volt 40MT Starter 1975-1985 International Loader 175C DT-466 Diesel (Delco Ref# 1114860) - 4987 1 YEAR WARRANTY
THIS REPLACEMENT STARTER :
*Replacement has rotatable drive end opening where gear opening can be positioned as needed for installation
<FONT color=#000040... www.maniacelectricmotors.com
Very good and helpful information! Thank you! I will look for the 39MT 24v
I think I have a 24V starter for a 15C that I parted out.