I am thinking to replace our 573 with a 466 or even a cummins. Has anyone done this? My main concern is how the 466 would mate up to the powershift. Any input is appreciated. Thinking to buy d65 ex with a 6 way if I can find one decent.
Been there & done it with the Fiat Allis HD 16 dozer . HeavyEquipmentForums IH DT 466 or 6BT cummins would be good engines for the TD 20 C . Have to be a little "hard headed " to take on the project but she pay's off in the end . Still hoggin dirt & slammin trees with the 16 and never bother to look back . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2671&viewfull=1#post2671
I was thinking that old V800 had more horsepower than that. Maybe a 6CT might be a better choice.
The later versions used L-10 Cummins engines so I think a DT-466 will be wanting.
What's that TD20C need for horsepower , 180 to 200 ?
I don't think the DT will have the torque to be a good candidate for a decent repower. The early TD 15 E's had DT's in them and they were phased out in favor of 8.3 6CT Cummins. Now if all you have is a DT to put in because of budgetary constraints, well then that's another matter.
I don't see why the 466 wouldn't work. this tractor in question is not a direct drive so low end torque won't matter. great motor. v573 sure was not.
I reckon first order is do a little measuring & find out what in line 6 will fit ? The older TD20's had in line 6's in them . The TD 20 C is a totally different animal , not as much room between the hard nose and bell housing not to mention the extra room for an adapter plate if ya go that direction .
A 61 with a 6 way would be a lot easier to find than a 65. I do know where a nice low hour 65 is with the sigma blade.
I am a little curious as to the torque on the 466. Honestly the 573 was a beast. Never bogged down, just kept ticking. It overheated and wasn't shut down in time and I think it's toast now. I swapped a 12v Cummins into my 04 f350 this spring so not afraid of the work. . I will need to replace the machine either way, but want to fix it and keep as well. I just sold my d5m earlier in the week because it was a gutless pig.had planned on getting a 61 with a 6 way. I like the 65s but the 6 way on the new ones is pricey.
http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/International_TD-20C 170 or 190 HP with max 2,300 RPM originally is pretty close to the torque of a 466 at similar speed. Isn't 230 and a max 2,600 a common HP rating for them? That's the straight comparison, but comparing a truck rating to a dozer rating. A 530 or 8.3 isn't that hard to find if you're going to do that much work.
It aint like we are tryin to drop another feller on the moon . This is a Dozer repower job . :lmao
Haha the old saying of big hp and little hp comes to mind though. . Would like an l10 if it would mate up. 530 Would be Ok if I could also get the electronics figured out. ..
Sigma blade? Did you mean 6 way? Not bein smart, I don't know. . Info on it? Thanks
This engine would make the TD 20 a real Muscle Dozer . http://www.adelmans.com/detroit-diesel-6v92ta-turbocharged-engine-1
I had similar thoughts along those lines, but people don't much care for Detroits anymore, so I didn't mention them. That looks like a Silver 92 so it would be one of the best ones made.
The person you need to contact is Clensing, or Clansing, can't remember for sure how its spelled, he's a member of HEF and he and/or his family have done a few of those conversions over the years, seen the machines myself so I know they've done them. They used L10 cummins out of trucks for their conversions if I recall correctly. Give him a PM and see if you can get ahold of him. If you can find a 20H to get bell housing numbers to compare, along with torque converter numbers and measurements, most of the work has already been done for you, then all you need to do is copy those machines. I've repowered several machines over the years but not a dresser dozer, if you can get those measurements and numbers off another machine, 90% of the work is done, then its just a matter of taking plenty of pictures and jotting down measurements and then you know it'll work. The 20H ran a L10 from the factory in them, to put a Detroit or something else in one, you have to do all the work to figure out everything to make it work, not something I'd recommend unless you have plenty of time and parts at your disposal. Its so much easier to copy everything that's already been done before, to talk to someone who's done it, is priceless in my opinion, especially with all the issues you'll encounter along the way. Just my two cents worth and best of luck.
Nothing against the Detroit, but I wouldn't go that route, , 466,530 or a Cummins of some sort would be my choice. Not sure about the bolt patterns on what will bolt up and what adapter plates would be made. Hoping someone that's done it can chime in. I love the old dozer and it's always been my favorite. .. Hoping a 466 or 530 would bolt up?thanx for everyone's advice so far!
I am looking at a Fiat TD20 Dozer. It has a cracked cylinder head and not sure where to find one. I have read previous messages about changing it out to a dt 466. My preference would be to find a good used cylinder head. Does someone know where I might find one. Eric
Is it a dresser or a Fiat Allis dozer, what engine is in it, we need more information before we can steer you to anything.
It is a fiat allis dozer. I am trying to get a make of the engine and serio number. I will get that info and get back to you.. thanks for your direction Eric